Thread: Loop in America
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #74
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
You should see my Dutch relatives eat a hamburger: Knife and fork.

Not so much the current generation, but my girlfriend isn't the only one whose family is 'old school'.

Loopy, do your thing your way. We North Americans tend to think the English know the classy way to do anything, anyway. Work it.

It's been my experience that English folk with the way they speak and do things will be as much of a fascination to the Americans as we are to them. Kind of fascinating to see that people think we care so much about the knife/fork thing....when I tend to think most of the world sees us as a little boorish. But then again, I'm definitely "working class" American...family never had time to worry about such nonsense. We worry about employment and paying bills and such. Seems way more important than judging how someone cuts their meat.

Stop worrying about the little things Loop and enjoy your trip. (I always keep my fork in my right hand btw...and always will)

Welcome to America Glad to have you!

BTW Andrew, I have traumatized a few folk when I sometimes use a knife and fork to eat a piece of pizza. Especially the Jersey folks- you're supposed to "fold" your slice to eat it. Kind of ruins the taste for me. "Real Italians" and all their pizza shops up in Jersey...kind of laid down the law of eating pizza there, I suppose.
I really want to know how the Chicago people prefer to eat the deep dish pizza....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpySmile View Post
Reminds me of a joke I heard of an American serviceman on a crowded train in England. He couldn't find a seat anywhere on the train, but one seat held a very small dog belonging to a very snooty woman.

The serviceman asks the lady if he could have that seat. The lady replies, "No. My Fifi is using it. Find another."

So the serviceman walks the length of the train again, looking in vain for an open seat. He finds himself back at the seat with the dog.

"Please Ma'am," says the soldier "I have been all up and down this train, there are no other seats. I'm very tired, please may I use that seat?"

The lady looks him up and down, sniffs, and just says "No." in her haughtiest voice.

The serviceman thinks a moment, then opens the window, chucks the dog out and sits down. The lady starts screaming but he just ignores her.

An older English gentleman, watching this whole interaction, leans across the aisle to say to the soldier,

"I say, you Americans do everything backwards. You drive on the wrong side of the road, you use your knife and fork with the wrong hands, and now you've gone and thrown the wrong bitch out the window."
Awesomeness

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote