View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 11:56 PM   #38
plushkitty

plushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
But they didn't do it this past year; at 78 my mom was one of the youngest in the group, and their leader decided to hang up her apron when she turned ninety, and the rest decided they were getting too old for it too.

Their church has a fair mix of ages, so I'm not sure if they are the last of the generation that all learner pie making as a basic domestic skill, or just the last to volunteer their time, but I suspect at least a good part of the former.
I'm in my thirties and I bake a darn good pie! Coconut banana cream and lemon sour cream are my specialties, but I can do apple, cherry, pumpkin, pecan, all the classics. My mom and grandma didn't bake very good pies, so I had to teach myself from cookbooks and the internet. Maybe with the rise of internet tutorials and foodie culture we'll see a resurgence of pie baking. I have a friend several years younger than me who makes a Concord grape pie that's to die for, she won a blue ribbon at the county fair!
plushkitty is offline   Reply With Quote