View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 02:04 AM   #12
TwoSwords

TwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumbits View Post
But that's the real trouble with dreams, or even fantasies. It's not just randomness, it's the fact they're more uncontrolled. If I put a pencil down on my desk, I can walk away and be confident it'll remain there when I come back. If I drop it, I'm confident it'll fall at a consistent rate each time. And yet in a dream things don't work this way. Fantasy can be similar. We break rules in fantasy frequently. That's one of the joys of fantasy.
I think there's a couple aspects to this. First, there aren't any real-world consequences to dark dreams, which makes it less harmful in an immediate sense. Secondly, in real life, physical objects restrict access to their incidental properties, which is one of the weaknesses of physical reality, though it is certainly possible to imagine a reality where that's not the case, and wouldn't involve breaking any rules.
TwoSwords is offline   Reply With Quote