Thread: Loop in America
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #126
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitScorpion View Post
(At least in Michigan and Ohio) Not all American Cheese is what is usually called "processed food" (truth be known, cheese itself is one of the first processed foods, we just don't acknowledge that since the process goes back about 1,000 years)

A better definition of American Cheese would be "mild cheddar". American Cheese can be a true cheese (in which case it is usually sliced, but not with each slice individually wrapped), or American Process Cheese Food (which contains other dairy ingredients, and each slice is individually wrapped, because slices of APCF stacked together would otherwise unite into a single block) Truth be known, APCF is healthier (as it has less fat). APCF is usually about two-thirds the price of American Cheese.

Cheese Whiz is a different thing, it is knife-spreadable and is sharper than American Cheese.

There are also "American slices", a combination of dairy ingredients, vegetable oils and processed protein that can't be called cheese. It is even lower in calories and even cheaper than APCF. It is a sad substitute for cheese, especially If you try to use it as a melted topping (e.g. for Nachos or pizza).
Thanks for this....I tend to only buy "real" cheese...as in the package cannot be labeled "cheese food" (which means a big difference in taste.). American cheese does come labeled as actual cheese and cheese food.

The cheese that McDonalds uses (such as on that Egg McMuffin above) has always seemed like real American- thicker in texture and tastes much better melted.

American cheese on nachos is a sacrilegious suggestion- bite your tongue

I don't even consider cheese whiz as a cheese- more of a junk food for parties*shrugs*

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote