View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
plushkitty

plushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
Follow the money. Such studies are funded by the billion dollar diet industry, trolling for new customers. (Ever see a study about under weight people?)

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk
Hell yes they are. When I was in college, I learned how to read scientific articles and interpret statistics for my major. So during a slow semester when my classes were easier than I thought they would be, I made it my mission to go through the many, many science databases I had access to and find a statistically proven long term method to lose a significant amount of weight. I'm a natural speed reader and I like to stay up late at night; I read a lot of articles.

And there wasn't a single such method to be found.

Oh, there were plenty of articles about obesity. There are entire scientific journals devoted to the subject. The articles, however, would have received a D at best from my biostatistics professor, a "I'm so disappointed in you, I really thought you could do better" face, and an invitation to talk to him during office hours about what the author was doing wrong. And when I looked at who was funding those studies, it was obvious why they were publishing inaccurate dreck. They were mostly funded by corporations with ties to the weight loss industry. Dieting programs, weight loss surgery, weight loss drugs.

The few studies that did not have ties to the weight loss industry came to similar conclusions. Dieting to lose weight is bad for you and will not work long term. What does work to improve the health issues commonly associated with obesity- heart disease, hypertension, metabolic syndrome, type II diabetes- is exercise and nutrition with all the things a body needs to run its systems. Fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc. The amount doesn't matter as much as the contents. Active fat subjects had better health outcomes than sedentary thin subjects.

That was mindblowing. I was still struggling to accept my body at that point in my life. For the science I was building my future career around to tell me that my fat isn't necessarily going to kill me, just pay attention to your blood pressure etc, exercise, eat healthy things along with occasional indulgence and you'll be fine? Amazing.

*steps off of soapbox*
plushkitty is offline   Reply With Quote