View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 02:48 AM   #9
TwoSwords

TwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going onTwoSwords knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by plushkitty View Post
That was mindblowing. I was still struggling to accept my body at that point in my life. For the science I was building my future career around to tell me that my fat isn't necessarily going to kill me, just pay attention to your blood pressure etc, exercise, eat healthy things along with occasional indulgence and you'll be fine? Amazing.
I'm so glad to hear that others are beginning to discover this through research and evidence. I didn't begin doing leisure time research for this reason, but because I'm not able to appreciate the beauty of thin people, I was strongly motivated to find evidence of whether or not fatness was really as lethal as people say, because for me, it makes a huge difference, in terms of whether and to what degree I can express myself.

What I found, amazingly, was this very confused situation, in the world of statistics, where people repeatedly assume that correlations implied causations, which is, of course, false. A lot of studies will show that obesity is correlated with this or that, but that's not enough to show that it causes those conditions, any more than yellow teeth cause lung cancer.

Just as yellow teeth and lung cancer correlate, because both are caused by smoking, so obesity and various conditions had a lesser correlation because obesity was a common side effect of people who didn't exercise, ate too much refined sugar, didn't eat the nutrients they needed, put themselves through too much stress, etc... However, that does absolutely nothing to prove that being fat, in isolation from these other factors, is bad for you. There's no evidence at all to show that. In fact, we have good evidence that it may benefit you under certain conditions.

It's been quite a ride, and I'm glad I got on. This is the most wonderful outcome I could have hoped for, aside from the outcome of more people coming to realize this.
TwoSwords is offline   Reply With Quote