View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
Does anyone here do sous vide cooking? Fighting with myself over if I should get one. I'd need the heater, the vacuum sealer (some say you don't need that) and a blow torch attachment for searing. I've heard meat like roasts come out really good with sous vide.
I'd never heard of sous vide before your post. (OK, I'm not an Epicure, just a mundane foodie.)

From my little bit of reading it looks like you could pan sear the meat to get the Maillard reaction (or "browning") instead of using a torch. And in my area you can snag a used Foodsaver on Craigslist or at a garage sale to vacuum bag the food for heating. (I think I paid about $15 for mine at a G-sale, with lots of bag stock.) While the torch may be great theatrical performance art at a restaurant, I'd be curious how the flavoring from the higher temp flame compares to the pan searing approach. And some websites recommend searing the meat before cooking, others after.

I look forward to trying this. But since I'm currently cooking for one, I'm going to have to wait for a couple more weeks until my wife returns home. I don't want to make a roast just for myself. But it will give us lots more options for home cooking instead of going out to eat.

Last edited by HereticFA; 07-08-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: changed 'boiling' to 'heating'.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote