View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #2616
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post
Ah, Kanata North, soulless home of the IT worker drones!

But, there are lots of well-paid jobs, so ....

Are you driving to work, Tad, or taking the bus, or doing the long-haul bicycle paths?
Correct, and correct.

And yes, yes, and yes (so far biking 2-3 days a week, sometimes biking one way and using rack-and-roll to bus the other way, occasionally just taking the bus, and driving 1-2 days a week).

As the weather gets colder and they take the bike racks off the buses, the biking will fade out for the season, and I'll have to make the hard decision on how much I bus vs how much I drive.
- Since I'm going against the worst of the traffic flows I can generally drive in 20 minutes, while the bus is a ten minute walk and forty minute bus ride plus any waiting time, so the car is a lot faster.
- The car gives me somewhat more flexibility in my timing, although there are fairly regular buses for me.
- I figure driving costs me 3-3.50 in gas, plus car wear and tear, while going by single rides costs 6.70 for the day. So the car is some amount cheaper, (less so if I take the bus every day and get a monthly pass)
- I don't particularly enjoy driving, I don't like being a wasteful single driver commuter, and loathe sitting in traffic. On the other hand I enjoy the walk to/from the transitway and once on the bus I can read, doze, people-watch, or read Dimensions on my phone -- all things I enjoy!

Most likely I'll take the bus on bad weather days when traffic will be a mess, and a day or two in a week otherwise, and drive the rest. But no final decision yet.