View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #2623
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post
$3-3.50 in gas, so double that for wear/tear/depreciation on the car, making the bus and the car about the same price. (Are you getting free parking at work?? I notice you don't quote a parking charge. Benefit of working at a company so far out in the 'burbs?)

If you rarely or never drove to work, you could cut your car insurance cost (probably in half), by having the car only insured for leisure - but that would cut your flexibility too.

And I have to agree that sitting in traffic is such a waste of time, when one could be reading/studying/dozing/planning/people watching/doing crossword puzzles on the bus!
Nobody pays for parking out here. (and the parking lots are generally much larger than they need to be, too. The amount of asphalt over what could be green space really bugs me.) Which of course just encourages more car commuting (and given the back-ups on March Road .... they should stop encouraging that)

I've not actually told my insurance agent about the change of work situation -- it has been so long since I drove to work with any frequency that I'd actually forgotten all about that. Oops! Well, I can claim with some justice that so far that I'm not regularly driving. But I will get on that.

Were my trip reversed it would include a lot more traffic jams and likely some sort of fee for parking, and the bus would be a slam dunk better solution. Right now I want it to be the better solution, but I feel like I have to add quite a bit of 'public good' to the equation to make it tip to the bus's favour :-/