View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #8754
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

SqueezablySoft, a few more of factors to consider (not saying they are the case, just to think about):

- maintaining body temperature in cold or hot conditions burns calories. While the south has more heat and the north has more cold, from what I understand people may spend more time in the minimal-effort temperature zone with AC than with heating -- maybe because being a little cool is a bit uncomfortable, but being a little warm can leave you sweaty, which most people like to avoid much of the time?

- My impression is that the American south has less population concentration into large urban centres. A pretty consistent pattern is that suburbs are fatter than high density urban cores, and small towns tend to be even fatter than suburbs. New York and New England of course have lots of big old cities, Canada actually has a higher portion of people living in cities than the US does, while my impression is that the US south has more sprawling, low density cities fading into smaller cities and towns, and not as much areas where it is normal to walk and use transit?

- With regards to Florida in particular I think the average age is higher due to the number of retirees in the state. Areas dominated by younger people (like around colleges) tend to adopt a more 'youthful' culture with more activities, more focus on fitness and fashion, and so on. I'd guess that areas with more older folk might generally tend to align themselves more with those interests?