View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
plushkitty

plushkitty knows EXACTLY what's going onplushkitty knows EXACTLY what's going onplushkitty knows EXACTLY what's going onplushkitty knows EXACTLY what's going onplushkitty knows EXACTLY what's going onplushkitty knows EXACTLY what's going on

Lebkuchen

Ingredients:
  • 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 cup finely chopped candied citron
  • 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp grated lemon rind
  • 1 egg
  • Powdered sugar
  • Water
Preheat oven to 400 F.

Mix flour, soda, and spices. Stir in citron and nuts. In a sturdy stand mixer or bowl (if you have strong arms), mix molasses, sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind, and egg. Stir in flour-fruit mixture. If you're using a stand mixer pay attention to the sound of the motor, if it starts struggling you'll need to finish by hand. Dough will be extremely thick and sticky.

Grease and flour a large baking sheet or jelly roll pan. Use LOTS of grease. If it looks like too much you're doing it right. Fill a small bowl with water. Dump dough onto heavily greased and floured pan. Wet your hands and start patting it into an even layer. When dough starts sticking to your hands, wet them again.

Make a bowl of powdered sugar and water glaze and set aside. Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until light brown and firm to the touch. Immediately brush with glaze upon removing them from oven.

Start cutting cookies once they are safe to touch but still warm. I cut them into diamonds. Cut a long strip, then make diagonal cuts along the strip to form diamonds. You can do them all at once, but I find cutting one strip of cookies at a time gives me more control over the shape and size.

Put cookies in an airtight container to mellow. If you're stacking them on top of each other, put parchment paper or waxed paper between the layers so they don't stick.

Recipe Notes

You can use just about any candied fruit or citrus peel for this recipe. I personally prefer citron, but it's hard to find in recent years, so I hunted it down online. Nuts.com is where I get it.

You can also use other kinds of nuts. I just happen to like walnuts.

The original recipe has half as much fruit and nuts. But every year when Grandma and I went to make them, she measured them out and went "Oh, that's not nearly enough!". We always ended up doubling the fruit and nuts.

I have seen so, so many variations on lebkuchen online! It seems to be one of those things like chili, where every cook makes their own version. So BurgerMePlease, I'm not sure if these will be the lebkuchen that your husband had in Germany. They are quite tasty though!
plushkitty is offline   Reply With Quote