View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #30
TwoSwords

TwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack27 View Post
Statistics don't guarantee individual outcomes. My grandmother was of SSBBW size for nearly my whole life, she lived until her late 80's. To an outside observer just looking at visuals she shrank continuously the last decade of her life until she died at an average size. Her mother was very large and her mother's mother was very large (back when very large women were a lot rarer.) So maybe she had something genetically predisposing her to being large, maybe for her as an individual being so large wasn't that far outside the realm of normal and it wasn't as bad health wise as for someone else, especially as it related to metabolic problems and life expectancy. She had skeletal problems though, hip problems and knee problems for as far back as I can remember.
Exactly. There are many possible explanations for why one fat person may experience medical issues, and another not. I tend towards the "refined sugar" explanation myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack27 View Post
My wife is currently teetering on the edge of the SSBBW threshold. She's been across it a few times in the past, pretty far across at one point. She loses a ton of weight from childbirth, we have 2 perfect handsome little boys and she lost somewhere around 70 pounds in the space of months after giving birth to each one. She wants another one, we're working on it. I worry about her health, she has back pain (requiring cortisone shots,) she has foot pain, she's had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies. I struggle with some of the same issues I think you're struggling with.
My mother suffers from back, foot and leg pain, and my younger brother's wife suffers from diabetes during pregnancy. Neither is elderly (my mother is middle aged, but my brother's wife is in her prime still,) and neither one is even remotely fat, so yeah. It's pretty clear to me that a lot of these problems would exist, even without fatness. I think a lot of people (doctors and patients alike,) see a medical problem, see that a person is fat, and blame the problem on the fatness, because it's easier than learning what really caused it. (And it is much, much easier. Biology is a complex topic, and we don't understand it as well as we'd like to.)

It's like I've said before. Unless you're talking about the board game, "risk" isn't real. It's only an estimate.

P.S.: I love your replies, by the way.
TwoSwords is offline   Reply With Quote