View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 03:04 AM   #13
TwoSwords

TwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
This is a prime example of a-historic thinking.
Even using the term "fatter" in relation to these beauty pageant contestants shows you are mentally straight-jacketed into todays beauty standards.

These women were considered completely normal and slim by the standards of the 1920's. And they are "thin" compared to what would have been the standard in 1910 - because the post WWI period with flapper dresses and short hair already brought a considerable push towards more androgenous ideals for women.

It was not until the 1960s mini-skirt fashion - think Twiggy - that the ultra-thin ideal for women really permeated into the mainstream.

You never do the past justice by applying todays standards.
In other words, as relatively-healthy as they look by comparison to today's standards, they're not especially fat for back then.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ef/f0...22d711dfe4.png

I always thought Muriel Landers was cute, meanwhile, and hey!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/87/78/f3/8...7f3a100acf.jpg

Look who's flirting with their boyfriend. Go, Lu!

Yes, people recognized a difference between fat people and thin people, even back then, but my point in bringing this topic up, is that fatness is not a modern-day condition. There was a time when fat people like Winston Churchill, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Aquinas were not only respected, but were pillars of society, treated reverently by their fellows. Fatness was pretty normal for a large section of human history, in terms of how people treated it, and was correctly seen as not being a silent killer that inevitably destroys your life, and taints everything you have to say.

I say "correctly," because Churchill lived to be 90, and Franklin 84, so there you go.
TwoSwords is offline   Reply With Quote