View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #995
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCynth View Post
That looks fantastic! I had to look up saltimbocca because I had no idea what it was, it sounds delish.
Saltimbocca is a classic and sooo tasty !!! I looked on Wikipedia now, they mention capers as 'usual' topping, no way ! Never seen that. Apart from that it's true that Saltimbocca may come in different flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Okay, Pan, I looked up recipes on this since I didn't know what it was and each recipe varied a little in what was used. Some had the proscuitto wrapped around veal, some around chicken. Some had cheese in the mix, some didn't. One had spinach wrapped up inside too. All recipes varied in the seasonings. What was your recipe? It looks scrumptious.
Michelle, at the beginning a little (hopefully not confusing) explanation:
Saltimbocca, as i know it, is chicken, pork or veal wrapped in prosciutto or, let's say, smoked ham. Now i learned that Parma Ham (as one example of prosciutto) in some places (Italy, Germany) is used only for the ham coming from the area around the city of Parma, but in other places in a broader sense. Now, making things more complicated, restaurants in Germany often use Parma Ham (in the closer sense of the word) which IMHO is a big mistake because of the very delicate taste of that particular ham/not a good choice for frying. In other words: My advice is to use ANY smoked ham with a strong taste wherever it's coming from. My choice in Germany is German Black Forest Ham, but if i were located somewhere else i would use something local from that place.

Preparing Saltimbocca is very easy.
Chop up the meat into smaller pieces and season it with salt, grinded black pepper and mucho (!) sage (sage should dominate the flavor)
Wrap the ham around these pieces
Heat up some olive oil and fry them (caution with not burning them !), takes only a coupla minutes
Take the saltimboccas out - heat should be quite low now - and give some creme fraiche (yogurt might do it as well) into your frying pan, then a lil bit of wine (or lemon juice or even a good vinegar if you prefer that - saltimbocca is very tolerant with the sauce you're making)
Stir the sauce well and season it with more black pepper, sage, oregano and a lil bit of salt (caution because of the ham it's already a bit salty)
You're done !