View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #50
crazygrad

crazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 club

I just wanted to ditto what Ripley said. I think even knowing what the potential consequences of significant weight gain are, doesn't mean someone really appreciates what that really means. And I'm not suggesting people are stupid, just that as concepts, the problems seem so far off, and it is so easy to convince oneself that they won't happen to you.

the other issues for me are: while its possible gaining will have no health or other ramifications, they are likely and you never know when they will hit. Will you start having back problems at 250? Blood pressure problems at 275? Diabetes at 300? Apnea at 350, maybe walking will be painful at even lower weights. And the other issue, your problems may not resolve with loss.

So I guess the short of it is, unless you really can think about a life withg these and other problems, I'm not sure how meaningful the concept of informed consent is for this situation.
crazygrad is offline   Reply With Quote