View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #26
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Sausage and Potato Soup

There is an attempt number one in the "Step by Step" thread, but this one worked out better for me, so here you go!
  • 4 large russet potatoes
  • 1-1.5lbs of sweet italian sausage meat (you could use hot if you want, personal choice)
  • 1 can of cream of potato soup (I think you could easily leave this out)
  • 6 cups of chicken broth (I used low fat/low sodium)
  • 1 medium onion (I used a half large vidalia onion, I prefer sweet)
  • 2 cups of half and half (recipe called for evaporated milk, I went with the half and half instead)
  • seasoned salt
  • pepper
Wash, peel, and slice potatoes. I made the same size pieces I would for potato salad or beef stew. If you don't want to peel them, you don't have to, but I don't like skins in soup.

Dice or coursely chop onion.

Add half of onions and all of the potatoes to a pan with your chicken broth. Bring to a boil then simmer on low/medium heat (low boil).

Brown sausage meat in skillet with remaining onions until the meat is brown/to your liking. While cooking the meat, I added 3 tablespoons of REAL bacon pieces. The recipe does not call for this, but I like the little added flavor. *note: last time I cooked the bacon myself, but I really found it made the soup too greasy, and added time and effort that I just didn't need to do for so little bacon.*

Add browned meat and onions to the soup pan with potatoes/broth. Cook entire pot on low boil until the potatoes are cooked and soft (about 45 mins, the soup will set up well in that time.)

When everything is cooked, add the 2 cups of half and half to the mixture and let it cook through for about 10 mins. Add salt and pepper to taste!

*I added the half and half by mixing it in another bowl with 2 cups of broth to make sure it didn't curdle or anything - not sure if it was necessary, but it's how I always add dairy when I'm late in the game.*

I think you could vary this recipe with lots of things, cheese toppings, etc... but I really enjoyed it just as it was.

Click for picture: Attachment 21045