View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
Dibaby35
Chicken n' Dumplings

Dibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarKat
I hope no-one minds, but I'd like to pose a few questions as well. I've been talking to my doctor about this quite a bit lately.

Generally speaking...

What are your energy levels like following the surgery?
Are there any painful/noteworthy side effects to the type of surgery you had?
Was there anything done to bring down your weight pre-op?

Is it as much work maintaining the weight afterwards as it was trying
to loose it in the first place? I think this is probably the most important question, in retrospect could you have achieved the weight loss knowing what you know now, or was it necessary to get down in weight first?
Here's my experiences with my Lap-Band surgery:

What are your energy levels like following the surgery?

Well it's pretty much like any other surgery I had..sore and stiff. Took a good two weeks to get fully back on my feet but was back to work after 4 days. For complete healing I'd say a good 3-4 months.

Are there any painful/noteworthy side effects to the type of surgery you had?

I really had no painful side effects to speak of. Of course if I eat too fast, or not chew good enough, it can be very painful if the food gets stuck.

Was there anything done to bring down my weight pre-op?

To get approved for the surgery I had to prove that I have tried every avenue to loose the weight and keep it off. Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Redux...I had to document everything. Also my doctor had a 10 day liquid diet before the surgery that was hell. I think I lost 15 pounds just with that alone. The idea was to shrink the liver so it was easier for surgery. I dunno if that really works or not, but it doesn't really matter cause your basically on the same diet after surgery. I could always loose weight easily..that wasn't my issue it was keeping it off. It was always the weight regain and more that I was tired of. I can't imagine life now without my band. It's always there where your willpower during a diet can fail. It makes me mad sometimes but then I just look in the mirror

Is it as much work maintaining the weight afterwards as it was trying
to loose it in the first place? I think this is probably the most important question, in retrospect could you have achieved the weight loss knowing what you know now, or was it necessary to get down in weight first?

Like I said on the previous question, it wasn't a question of loosing the weight its keeping it off. No way have I ever gone 3 years and kept 50 pounds off of me. It would NEVER happen without my band.

Hoped I helped
Dibaby35 is offline   Reply With Quote