View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #42
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Tomato and Bread Soup

2 T olive oil
Medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic (I, of course, double that amount, as I loves me so garlic! )
2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes, Italian style if they have it
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
1 quart chicken stock
2 15-oz cans white kidney beans (cannellini)
1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
Fresh or dried basil
about 3/4 loaf rough-textured bread, artisan type, torn into small rough chunks. Use stale bread if you have it.
Parmesan cheese, grated
butter
salt and pepper to taste
optional - oregano, red pepper flakes

Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes, add garlic, saute until lightly browned. Stir the tomatoes (diced and sauced) into the onion/garlic mixture, then stir in chicken stock. Heat to a boil and add beans and spinach, heat again to a boil. Chiffonade the basil and add it, add salt, pepper and other spices if using. Drop the chunks of bread in and stir. The bread will begin to hydrate and expand after a few minutes; cook for another five minutes or so at a simmer. Soup is done when the spoon stands up!

Add parm cheese and butter (you can also drizzle in olive oil) to taste.

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote