View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #13
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

1. Please tell us a little about yourself. Age, locale, work, family, whatever you'd like to share.

Jamie, I am 35 and I live smack dab in the middle of Kentucky with my husband (still known as "the boy"), our two cats, and a puppy. I am the IT/Interactive Media Director for what was once a small medical consulting company. We have grown to about 200 people and more headaches than I care to think about.

2. Tell us a bit about your relationship with food. Are you a 'foodie' and, if so, what do you think makes you a foodie?

I am a foodee I think. I am fascinated by the relationships people have with food. It is used to comfort, celebrate, remember, seduce, sustain..and any number of other intentions. When I was growing up, it was sometimes unsure where the next meal would be found. We had a limited budget and my mother had a very limited repertoire. Food was a source of stress and for years I never ventured out at all. I ate a lot of country food and as much as I could find. When I left for college, I slowly began to discover other tastes and possibilities. I had moo goo gai pan when I was a junior and felt like I had discovered a new world. I think from then on, I had a different relationship with it. I love to learn new techniques, love to try new flavors and keep up on the web with egullet, several foodee blogs and all the cooking competition shows (Top Chef is my fave).

3. Is there a special food, or type of food that would elect you president of its fan club?

Ice Cream or breakfast food probably. I love, love, love breakfast - even if it is masquerading as dinner or lunch. Ice cream is technically my favorite food. I do a search for any special ice cream places in a town before we go there to visit.

4. What is the freakiest or most fun food fact about you?

I take my food apart - every time I eat with someone for the first time, I have to re-explain it. Sandwiches, hamburgers, casseroles, candy bars, cake, even things that are fried that have a breading on them. It has been a habit since I was a child and I cannot seem to break it. Ex: sandwich - I eat the meat, then the cheese if it has it - or anything else that might be on top, then I eat the bread. Anything that has components or is in layers...I eat them separately. I tend to do that with a plate of food as well, but I know lots of people who eat all of one thing and then move on to the rest.

The other thing is, I almost never want anything on my sandwich or hamburger. Just meat and bread. No ketchup, mustard or definitely no tomato or lettuce and probably no cheese. Sometimes some mayo, but that is about it.

5. Do you like to cook? Do you have a dish or dishes you consider your specialties?

I like to cook but do it very rarely these days. That is something I hope to soon rectify. I am thinking of starting a cooking blog because I thought it would give me something to work on other than work and also motivate me to actually put the effort in for something at home. Just trying to think of a good topic to work on though. We have been doing some experimenting with vegetarian recipes, so that might be the idea.

I make a great rum cake and a pretty good quiche...so I would consider those my specialties.

6. Do you think more about food or sex? (this might help with the "are you a foodie" question, above)

Depends on which one I am hungrier for? I guess? And sometimes both at the same time...