View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Happenstance
Cautious Pessimist

Happenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going onHappenstance knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Necromancer View Post
Omnivore's Dilemma seemed like a pretty honest book to me, and it spoke about how trans fats are just something that should not exist on Odin's green earth. They're something that was designed by mad scientists with hunchbacked assistants which our body really lacks the chemical equipment to deal with.
That is simply not true - they do exist naturally in small amounts, and have been consumed by humans for eons via meats. The human body may not be properly equipped to digest them, but neither can we digest cellulose in vegetables. Do we stop eating vegetables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Lord View Post
From everything that I have heard and read about them, yes, they are actually quite bad for you. If you want to play Russia Roulette with this sort of thing, its your life I suppose.
My entire point, regardless of what specific case it's being applied to, is that we should all be questioning what we hear and read from sources that supposedly have some sort of authority. We are all quick to question anything that comes from the mouth of a politician, but if it's published by a scientific journal, somehow it's immune to criticism. This becomes dangerous in an age when science is so closely tied to the economy.