Thread: GLBTQ FA Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #34
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistfatgirl View Post
I really agree with this point, SamanthaNY. Thinking like this has helped me a million times in figuring out how to support a particular segment. If we just say, "there's no need, no one's here," we probably missed the boat.

I could see a couple of the sticky threads. I think a basic "ground rules" thread would be nice - folks aren't going to talk about something that is still unfortunately stigmatized by the larger community if there isn't a sense that the forum would be safe space. Then, basic terminology might be nice to define for folks (this is mostly for folks that want to be supportive but aren't involved in the larger glbtq community). A resources page would be great as some of these communities exist on some level (nolose) and the work of fat queers could be highlighted (stacy bias?).

Just some thoughts.

P.S. I want a rubbery one, not a leathery one.
I encourage you not to wait for a separate board. In my experience, they can be long in coming, and hard-fought along the way, and not without resentments. I would suggest making as many threads as you find necessary, and perhaps mark then with GLBTQ in the thread title so they're easily identified as belonging together. Each thread part of a cohesive concept, lending credibility (and quantity) to the idea that a board is needed. It would be a respectful way of making your own invisible board, in a way, until (and if) a real one materializes.

Last edited by SamanthaNY; 10-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
SamanthaNY is offline   Reply With Quote