Thread: GLBTQ FA Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #59
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmamma84 View Post
I am around alot of people of color that identify as gay/les/bi/trans and specifically, one thing that is always looked down on, especially in the black lesbian community is masculine women dating/having sex with, other masculine women. Some even go as far to say that's "gay" or "fag shit" -- I don't know if anyone else has heard of this or not but it bothers me. If it makes any sense, I can understand black folks being a tad traditional (even ones who live an alternative lifestyle), so maybe the whole gender role thing really skeeves people out. One of my friends dislikes it (she's a masculine woman, committed to a femme) and says her thing is..."who would f*ck who?"

Has anyone else come up on these types of feelings? I know from what BBSSBBW was saying there is alot of turning up of noses at bi women -- but I don't just think its from lesbians. Another friend of mine is bi and she says people take her sexuality as a joke; that she can't possibly like men and women and if she does...she's greedy. People don't see bisexuality as being a valid orientation...
hmm..its amazing how gender identity and sexuality mingle so and that there are so many constraints placed on these terms by society or by the individual.
I dont identify as "butch" or "femme". When i was younger i played around with these roles though, i guess to find something i was comfortable in; i used to wear a suit to school, i had a skinhead, mohawk, big boots etc.. I remember being called "son" a lot when i was younger. I wouldnt really ever "Butch up" except for in a roleplay situation as its not my normal attire. My girlfriend would REALLY be classed as a "femme" Because of what she wears, the way she acts, her obsession with hair products etc..lol.. Though do these terms "butch" and "femme" really have much relivence in todays queer comunity? or are they just the last crumbling reminants of a type of "identification" and labling system from the past? Maby Butch and Femme are sexualities within themselves. I think its strange that your friend said "who would fuck who?" Because i have always thought in a certain way that power lies in the feminine whether that is in a hetro couple or in a gay relationship. I suppose what i mean to say is that Feminine girls can fuck just as good as butches.
Now that i think about it.. its very rare i have seen two really butch women together. I have seen two women i KNEW were lesbians because of their hair cuts/clothes etc. but they have not been like BUTCH butch..
mergirl is offline   Reply With Quote