View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #16
brokemon

brokemon can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbrokemon can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Some very good stuff here- I wanted to jump in with some quick thoughts.

If you want to make the world a better place for biggies and not-so-biggies alike, you've got to worry about the macro and the micro.

So the micro stuff is how you lead your life, the day to day interactions with friends and family. Defend your loved ones, challenge perceptions. Call people out when they are putting people in boxes- making assumptions. Remind people none of us are without challenges and problems, and that we all cope and seek comfort in different ways. Remind people that while this is America, we all start at different distances from the finish line. This country is fair and equal-ish.

The macro stuff, for me anyways, is what I'm doing to help make a better world. I'm not sure that sticking up for biggies is the way to go- you convince some blockhead to change his mind online, and there's 10 more idiots behind them with the same backwards assumptions. We've missed the boat on the sad sack that's convinced a plus sized woman is draining his tax money with wellfare queen booty surgeries. So instead I try to be positive, and try not to be so damn judgmental. I try and give people the benefit of the doubt. If enough of us keep out of that shitty feedback loop of aggression and offense (and all aggression is seeking a reaction) the dickheads of the world start running out of steam.

I guess there is an option 3- wait it out. I feel like we are maybe 12 years out from a Monsanto/big pharma food tipping point where we will all end up fat anyways. The pendulum is always swinging.
brokemon is offline   Reply With Quote