View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #22
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-No-Badkitty View Post
I think any of those kinds of titles can be whatever you want them to be. Just like fat, bitch, nigger, etc. If you want to take them as an insult they will be an insult, if you want to make them into a compliment they can be one of those too.

Now *I* have a question. From personal experience (limited I admit) how does the "labled group" take non-members using those titles? For example, I know in my area it is very common for african-americans to call each other nigger (as in this is my nigger (friend) ), but if some white southern chick like me were to do that I'd probably get my ass whupped on.
On that note, sometimes my GF and I call each other bitch. "Hey bitch whatch'a doin'?" however is some stranger on the street said that to me I'd probably take it negatively.
I think Carlos Mencia touched on this once...and it was a really good "ask the public" segment he did as well.
It really is amazing the power that we give to words.

So, if someone outside the group uses the "slang" is it automatically percieved differently?
I think you answered Your own question. If someone uses the word "queer" to describe me, and it is ment with good intention then that is the way i shall take it. Whether they are queer or not. I dont feel the same about the word "nigger". I just feel that is a word which cannot be "recaimed". I have a black friend who uses the word and i tell him not to because i think its tooo ugly and steeped in too much hate and history to be reclaimed. AAnyway..i dont think this applies to queer, which was a pretty newish derogitory term which can and has been reclaimed in a positive way. Though, more so in America than in the Uk. I much prefer Queer to "fag","Dyke", "Poofter" etc.. the Male words all seem so faffy and weak and the words for gay women seem so ugly somehow.. Anyway, i love the word queer because it seem to encompass gay male and female/bisexual/bi-curious/trangender/transexual and basically anyone who isnt 100% hetrosexual.. It kinna makes us in the majority! lmao.. An army of QUEERS!!