View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I think as I got older it seemed harder to make and maintain friends. Remember when you were a kid in school and you just went over to someone and said "Hey wanna be friends?" and that was it, you were friends. I was never a person that had a ton of close friends. In high school I had a bunch of 'school friends' that I just hung out with at school. Then I had my small circle of close friends and also my best friend. After high school and as I got older, and also fatter, my friends and I grew apart. Only my best friend and I stayed in touch. I think the reason that happened was that I had a child at a young age (21) and my friends were still young and single and they were able to go out places and do things that I couldn't because I had the responsibility of a baby plus no extra money. My weight really never came up in a really negative way. If my friends really didn't like it they never said anything to me. And I figure if someone really had a problem with it they wouldn't be friends with me to begin with. Through the years I still had my best friend and that, along with my kids and what little family I had was enough for me. A few years ago my best friend and I had a falling out and I haven't talked to her since. I only have one other person in my real life I'd consider a friend and we're not as close as we used to be. Although I haven't met any of them in real life there are lots of ladies on this board I consider my friends, especially my Supersisters.
I don't know if my weight holds people back from being friends with me because quite frankly I haven't had the opportunity to really get out and make friends. Where do I really go to meet people? I don't get out that much and I just can't pick up some woman in the grocery store and say "hey you, wanna hang out?" Ha! Could you imagine? If I were her I'd think I was nuts!
I've thought about my weight and how it might impact friendships. Especially since I can't get around as well as I used to. I wonder if people I once knew would be surprised to see how fat I've gotten, even if they remember me as fat back in the day. Can my old classmates tell from my Facebook avatar that I'm fat? Will they care? An old friend sent me a message on Facebook and I haven't replied back to her yet. She is what I consider to be my '2nd' best friend. I haven't talked to her in years. I haven't written back for a number of reasons (all of them probably ridiculous on my part) but one of the reasons is my weight. I think she might be shocked although I don't know that. If I really think about it I don't think she would care. Believe me, I've thought about this a lot. If I died and she came to my funeral and someone said "Well, Lisa (that's me!) didn't contact you because she was fat" she would probably say that was a ridiculous thing to do because she wouldn't care.
I think being this weight holds me back from pursuing friendships. I like the fact that with people here on Dims I don't have to worry about the whole 'fat' thing because they already know I'm fat and it gets it out of the way.
Looks like I rambled a bit....

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote