View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
PeanutButterfly

PeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticedPeanutButterfly never has a post go unnoticed

Currently I work in a banquet hall as a server for weddings and such events. While its a physically demanding job, I've found that my feet and legs have gotten used to all the walking in the last few weeks (its only a seasonal summer job). But at the beginning, that first shift back, I just wanted to start screaming I was in so much pain. I thought it was just me because I am the biggest girl who works there but even the really thin/athletic girls will complain about their feet throbbing at the end of an 8 hour shift.

I've found that inserts really helped me. I read somewhere that foot pain is a big support problem. Even running shoes don't have the support stamina to keep you pain free for 8+ hours on your feet. I got these awesome Dr. Scholls 16 hr inserts and for 7.99 they work wonders! I feel such a difference when I wear them. My feet still hurt but not that crushing, if I don't sit down I'm going to start screaming pain. I've also found rocking back and forth while you stand helps. Or standing on one leg and putting the other foot subtly on the wall behind you so the pressure is moved from area to area and not constant. The other seasoned veterans at my job have been in the catering biz for years and they always say crocs are the best. They're soft with support and light so your legs dont get tired from lugging them around. I havent personally tried them but if I return next summer I might make the investment. Oh and the other shoe that got rave reviews was surprisingly the sketchers easytones. Not just for their toning ability but also because they have a lot of arch support and cushion on the bottom. I've seen girls come into 9 hour wedding shifts in shoes that could be slippers. They're half my size and crying way more about the pain than I was at the end. The right shoes are essential.

On another note, I just started a retail job. Even though the shifts are shorter I find my feet hurting more there (partially because I opt to wear cute shoes instead of my sneakers from my other job) but I think pain in the legs and feet is exasperated more by standing instead of walking. When I'm moving and busy I notice the pain a lot less and even at the end of the night it's not as bad as when I've just been standing somewhere for hours on end.
PeanutButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote