View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingAmy View Post
This thread makes me feel a lot better. I also thought I was just being a whiny bitch by being in A LOT of pain by the end of a standing-up shift, so it's good to hear I'm not the only fat girl who struggles. There's an 'I'm 500lbs but can out perform any skinny' attitude floating around Dims, so it's refreshing to find people actually admitting they DO suffer for their fat; that it happens.
Oh, god, no. The summer after college I worked as a cashier at a big grocery store chain, and I was probably about 280 lbs. at the time (I'm 5'11") and in my early twenties, but it was absolute hell. I still remember the pain in my feet at the end of a shift, the constant attempts to shift my weight and relieve at least one of my feet for a few seconds, and how much I'd absolutely dread going to work every day. I think standing in place tends to be much harder on our bodies than walking. At my size now, there is no freaking way I could do a job like that; desk job all the way.

It's probably worth adding (to everyone!) that with desk jobs, it's very important to get up and move periodically, to watch your posture, and to move your feet around every few minutes (there are even little exercises you can do beneath your desk), to aid circulation and keep your muscles from stiffening while you work.