View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh gosh, foot pain, how well do I know thee. I work in L&D and mom baby, and each has its unique challenges for my body mechanics. In L&D I end up somehow, in the heat of the moment, straining my hips or back because I end up stretching, bending and twisting in a weird game of Twister, trying to keep the baby on the monitor while the mom moves around. In Mom Baby, it's my feet that hurt because I walk up and down our floors over and over and over and over again.

My massage therapist recommended getting a good walking shoe and for me, New Balance in wide width is the ideal shoe. Some of their shoes come in D width which is great, and I find a style I like and buy them en masse at Zappos, and switch them out every three months. When my feet are especially bad I have two different pairs (two different models so they fit differently) that I'll switch between halfway through my 12 hour shifts.

When I was heavier, I had plantar fasciitis, which has thankfully resolved, because I was in near constant pain from it. However, now I have a plantar fibroma, which is a marble sized and shaped lump in the fascia which feels like I'm constantly walking on a marble. It only hurts at the end of the day, so I need to be sure that my shoes have lots of good padding.

Best job I had for my feet? Customer service rep at Starbucks' catalog department. Worst job for my feet? Standing and replanting seedlings at a greenhouse (though I did love being surrounded by plants).
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote