View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 AM   #10
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpops View Post
Does this all mean we shouldn't use the word queer to refer to something peculiar anymore? Or the word fag to mean cigarette. Because I know I've had dirty looks for both. It makes me a little bit sad that words don't have the same connotations as they used to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the use of these words when they're used in an outrightly offensive way.

Similarly to some of the people who have posted before, I have gay friends who are always calling things gay. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Should they be rallying against their orientation being used in a defamatory way, or are they doing the right thing in not letting it bother them?
I think if you can say something without feeling a shudder then its ok usually, though there are exceptions to the rule. When i smoked i used to say 'i'm going for a fag' i didnt mean i'm going for a gay guy..i think when in context most people would get that. 'Fag' is a very outdated term for gay men also more American than British. Infact i hadnt actually heard anyone saying it until someone said something was fagotty in hyde park the other night... maby he just ment kinna smokey though..
I think queer for peculiar is sort of outdated and is slipping away and 'queer' for gay is comming in.. though again this is more prominant in America as of yet i think.
I still use gay, when i'm trying to be polite, like if someone is asking me about chatting up a friend i will be like "sorry he's gay" Not "haha you gay he is queer"!! ..I dont actually use the word "gay" to mean something crappy either though..but it really doesnt bother me if anyone else does.. cause as i said i dont think the link is there for them any more between shit and homo.