View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 05:07 AM   #3
jason_grvin

jason_grvin can now change their title

CHAPTER 2

For the next several weeks things went on pretty much like that. We’d get together when we could over a weekend and have a pretty damn good time, if I do say so myself.

In trying to convince her that my Small Town America wasn’t all that bad (think John Mellencamp), we went and tried all the great local places to eat around here. Variety isn’t super great in a small town but the selection is pretty good and there is no shortage of talented people making some excellent meals around here. She enjoyed the food and I enjoyed her enjoying it.

Thrift stores were always a big favorite too. There’s something about looking at all this stuff that people used to have and you kinda wonder to yourself “Why did it take you as long as it did to decide to get rid of this?”

It was just one of those things we did and it was good.

It didn’t take us long to move past the “adults having a good time” part of the relationship to really being in love. Neither of us really were the type to fall in love easily. We’d made some mistakes and pretty bad judgments in the past and were pretty weary of getting involved again. Really though, when it happens what can you do about it right? You ride it out, that’s what.

]It seemed to be going great. She loved me, I loved her. We were talking every day and seeing each other every week. I mean… what’s not to love about that? History. History is the problem there.

I’ve never been the kinda guy that saw himself really getting anywhere in a relationship. They’ve always ended poorly and I’d say half of the time it was my fault and the other half was something that the woman I was with did. I’ve been cheated on, lied to, had things taken from me and hell was even in a pretty abusive relationship for a little while. After a decade of failures it’s hard to ever imagine having a success.

Somewhere along the lines I, subconsciously, decided that I had to sabotage things. If they were gonna go south they were gonna go south on my terms and no one elses.

I made a mistake. I made a big mistake.

I came home from work one day and found her sitting on the couch and she said “I think I’m going to leave.”