View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #29
Location: Kansas City, MO (Most of KC is in Missouri and not Kansas, just FYI.)
Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Buffie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Thank you Heather, Etobicoke and Zandoz. I wrote to Clear Channel again today and put a Read Receipt on the email, which I received as "read" a few hours later. So I know SOMEONE saw it. Whether they'll continue to ignore me is yet to be seen. As for the Every Old Do Nothing Diet people, I found what appears to be a corporate or office address on their website:
Evolutionary Health Products
Suite 373
369 Montezuma Avenue
Santa Fe, NM 87501-2626

Where are the NM peeps? Does anyone know anything about this address? Is it an actually office park location or is it just a drop box somewhere? It may say "Suite" but that could mean almost anything. Thanks for the info!

In the meantime, here's ANOTHER little nugget of interest. (I'm not even looking for this stuff, I swear! It just finds me.)

From the State Net Capitol Journal (this week's edition):

SNCJ Spotlight
The next issue of Capitol Journal will be available on January 15th.
Volume XV, No. 1

Will states follow NYC lead in banning trans fats? When the New York City
Board of Health opted last December to ban eateries from serving food
heavy with artificial trans fats, it did more than just shake up the city's
24,000 restaurants.

Within weeks of the Big Apple's big announcement,
lawmakers and public health officials in several states and major cities across the nation began laying out their own new recipes for removing those artery-hardening fats from restaurant kitchens.

The NYC Board of Health's decision to barthe use of trans-fat-laden oils, shortenings and spreads takes effect on July 1 for most foods, and exactly one year later for most baked goods and deep-fried desserts. The new rules also require eateries that currently provide calorie information for their foods to post it on menus so consumers can consider that information when placing an order.

That ruling made New York City the first major U.S. city to prohibit oils heavy in trans fat, although Tiburon, a small CALIFORNIA community near San Francisco, has banned trans fats in restaurant food since 2003.

Although there are no current statewide bans on the use of trans fats, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, since 2003 more than a dozen states have considered trans fat related measures. Most would have only required restaurants to provide customers with nutrition information for the food they are being served.

New York City officials have also asked food establishments to voluntarily forgo using trans fats since 2005. But according to the State Net database, shortly after the NYC announcement on Dec. 6 making the voluntary ban a mandatory one, MASSACHUSETTS, CONNECTICUT, CALIFORNIA, NEW HAMPSHIRE and NEW JERSEY all introduced bills aimed at enacting their own prohibitions. The WASHINGTON state Board of Health has
also indicated it will consider its own non-legislative, NYC-style trans fat
regulation this year. Bills have also been pre-filed in CALIFORNIA, TEXAS
and FLORIDA that would either regulate or bar public schools from serving or selling foods made with trans fats, and SOUTH CAROLINA has also pre-filed legislation that would force restaurants to notify customers if food is
cooked in or contains trans fats.

All of the proposed new rules would apply only to freshly cooked restaurant meals and not to pre-packaged products like potato chips, cookies and pastries. Trans fat is created when hydrogen is added to the likes of soybean, corn or vegetable oil in order to make it solid, a chemical process called hydrogenation. That process has been around since the early 1900s, but did not gain widespread commercial popularity until the mid 1950s, when it was used to create a wider array of fats that had value in commercial products, such as margarine and other prepackaged foods. Those products soon become staples in the consumer marketplace.

Trans fats also became a mainstay of both the pre-packaged
food industry and restaurants, which use them because they give food a
longer shelf life as well as more taste and a better texture. But by the
1990s, medical studies began to show that while trans fats make French
fries crispier and keep packaged cookies fresh longer, they also clog human
arteries, a major contributor to heart disease.

According to the Harvard School of Public Health, trans fats potentially contribute to as many as 30,000 heart-related deaths a year. That was a major motivator for CONNECTICUT Sen. Andrew Roraback, a Republican who has co-authored legislation to bar the use of trans fats in the Constitution State. In an official statement announcing the bill, Roraback called the annual 30,000 figure "the most conservative estimate" of premature trans fat-related coronary deaths, saying that, "epidemiologic evidence suggests this number is closer to 100,000 premature deaths annually." Roraback and co-author Sen. John McKinney (R) also made it clear that the NYC ruling was the catalyst for their legislation.

McKinney, the Republican Leader Pro Tempore, noted that "by forcing some of the world's largest food chains and restaurateurs to use healthier alternatives in their food preparation, New York City has paved the way for what I hope will be a national movement to improve the health quality of the food we eat in restaurants. "But while many within the restaurant industry acknowledge that trans fats are not the best choice for healthy eating, they are also concerned that an overly rapid forced migration to other oils will put their bottom line on life support.

In an interview with SNCJ, National Restaurant Association (NRA) spokesperson Sue Hensley called the situation "a significant farm-to-table
issue," saying that a lack of an adequate national supply of alternate oils
will make it almost impossible for NYC eateries to comply with the new
rules. "There is simply not enough time for 24,000 restaurants to be
able to make that switch," she says. Hensley also notes that many major
restaurant chains - including KFC, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Denny's, Olive
Garden, Red Lobster, and tourist-catering resorts like the Loews Hotel
chain and Universal Studios theme parks - have voluntarily opted to remove trans fats from their cooking processes. Even Starbuck's, the world's largest specialty coffee retailer, is getting on board, announcing on January 2 that it will soon be cutting trans fats from the muffins and pastries it sells. But Hensley also contends that those chains "have been working with their suppliers for months, if not for years, on developing an alternative product.

That is a process that takes time. "Restaurants that are not able
to meet a city or state deadline will be forced to either switch to using
saturated fats, which she says is a step backward in securing public
health, or to pull items off of their menus in order to avoid facing fines.

Many observers have also decried the influence of "food police" forcing
their will onto others who might not think like they do. The food industry -
as well as many newspaper editorials and seemingly the entire Internet
blogosphere - has also taken particular issue with how the NYC regulations
were meted out by the Board of Health and not via lawmakers.

Hensley says the industry has "serious legal concerns about a municipal health agency banning a legal ingredient that has already been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. "She notes that the NRA is planning legal action against NYC over its unilateral trans fat ban. But those who support banning trans fats doubt that effort will stop other municipalities
from moving to enact their own prohibitions. "I think we are likely to see
far more of these bans," says John Banzhaf, a law professor at George
Washington University and the executive director of the D.C.-based group Action on Smoking and Health.

In an interview with SNCJ, Banzhaf noted that "it is always difficult to be the first, and New York City is now bearing the brunt of the criticism and, in some cases, the sarcasm for that. But once this goes into effect and people see how well it works, I think you will see it widely copied elsewhere." Banzhaf, who has received worldwide notoriety for decades of successful litigation against the tobacco industry, says trans fats are in many ways "the new tobacco." He also notes that the public's ultimate reaction to efforts to bar trans fats could be greatly impacted by the fact the first significant ban came in New York City rather than Des Moines or, heaven forbid, CALIFORNIA.

"When CALIFORNIA passed the first ban on smoking in public places, everyone had these dire predictions about what would happen. But it worked out just fine, so then we all wondered why the rest of the country didn't follow right along," he says. "But I think the reality is that, quite frankly, most of the country sees CALIFORNIA as being the land of health nuts. But nobody sees New York City as being full of health nuts, so the fact that they did this suggests it could be pretty widely copied."

CONNECTICUT Sen. Roraback also disputes the "food police" moniker, telling SNCJ that "I don't view this as a Big Brother thing, I see it as a major consumer protection issue." Roraback also lauds restaurants for moving away from trans fats, saying that "it is clear the industry is moving in the right direction... Our bill is just intended to accelerate the pace."

Roraback also points out that many states, including CONNECTICUT, are preparing to tackle universal healthcare proposals this
year, an effort he contends should include lawmakers doing everything they
can to protect and improve public health. "If we're going to assume the
costs of providing universal healthcare, which I think we should, don't
we then also have a responsibility to take a hard look at what drives
those costs?"

Whether states actually do copy the NYC plan will not be determined for a while. But even if they do not, the trans fat push could spread nationwide anyway. A number of other major U.S. cities - Los Angeles, Louisville, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Cambridge, Boston and Seattle - are already pondering their own trans fat bans or nutrition labeling requirements, a list Banzhaf says is only likely to grow
now that NYC has made the first move. "I realize there is a reflexive
attitude within any industry against government telling them what to
do," he says. "But why should people in New York have better health protection than people in Dallas or Boston?"
The state names are capitalized because State Net is a legislative/regulatory information service and its part of their schtick.
Professional Expanded American

Hear the Twitter Patter of Little Tweets.
Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote