Thread: Salt Cod
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
This sounds similar to lutefisk. Families of Norwegian descent still eat it during the holidays in Minnesota.

It's one of those you either love it or hate it things.

The best way to eat lutefisk is with lots of melted butter.
It's nothing like lutefisk, trust me. Salt cod (baccala) is just plain old cod, salted and dried to preserve it. When you soak it and remove the salt, it comes back, almost, to being like just plain fish. Lutefisk is nothing like the original product, more like some sort of evil fish jelly. It's just plain disgusting, and no amount of butter an change that. My Norwegian ancestors must have been on some sort of frozen hallucinogen when they thought soaking fish in lye would make better. How do people come up with these odd things? It really makes me curious. How did Icelandic people get a taste for rotten shark?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm