Thread: Salt Cod
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
It's nothing like lutefisk, trust me. Salt cod (baccala) is just plain old cod, salted and dried to preserve it. When you soak it and remove the salt, it comes back, almost, to being like just plain fish. Lutefisk is nothing like the original product, more like some sort of evil fish jelly. It's just plain disgusting, and no amount of butter an change that. My Norwegian ancestors must have been on some sort of frozen hallucinogen when they thought soaking fish in lye would make better. How do people come up with these odd things? It really makes me curious. How did Icelandic people get a taste for rotten shark?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...iskHistory.htm

Quote:
The history of lutefisk dates back to the Vikings. On one occasion, according to one legend, plundering Vikings burned down a fishing village, including the wooden racks with drying cod. the returning villagers poured water on the racks to put out the fire. Ashes covered the dried fish, and then it rained. the fish buried in the ashes in the ashes thus became soaked in a lye slush. Later the villagers were surprised to see that the dried fish had changed to what looked like fresh fish. they rinsed the fish in water and boiled it. the story is that one particularly brave villager tasted the fish and declared it "not bad."
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote