View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #36
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post
Not so much a "study", but it's uplifting to see someone from the sciences discuss the topic intelligently, adding personal experience.
That was a good TED talk. It quickly covers the more detailed research that's been done into obesity issues over the last few decades.

There is one thing I would challenge her on in regards to "Mindful Eating" (or intuitive eating, as others have labeled it). It's the recommendation to "stop eating when you're full". Unfortunately that signal is missing from so many of us (for a variety of reasons). For many of us, all we have left is the signal to stop eating before we overstretch our stomachs and do damage. I recommend to instead stop eating when you're no longer hungry. That's a much lower threshold in quantity and caloric content.

One of the most significant things I noticed after being involved in the Fat Acceptance movement for a few years (decades ago) was how many of us had very significant emotional stressors when growing up. One of which was the extremely significant number of the women that were victims of sexual abuse, easily over 50% that I knew personally. Others had violent family members or bullies in their lives. Most of the people tended to gain weight after their period of emotionally stressful events. Their weight setpoint had been moved upwards. In most all cases they tended to eat until they were unable to eat any more. Only then did they stop eating. I suspect they were misinterpreting their body's natural signal of satiety due to the emotional "noise" of their previous stressors. This is much like how a person can develop loss of hearing and tinnitus after hearing loud music at a concert.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote