View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #82
TwoSwords

TwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelingfire View Post
He is not being FA-shamed. He is being given advice on how to give complements in a socially acceptable manner. You are assuming he knows the "the bounds of tact and reasonable consideration of another person." Twoswords, that is in no way meant as an insult. That is a large component of this entire discussion.

I think a lot of the responses have been from seasoned FAs. He doesn't have to listen to us. This advice is being given in the hopes of making, what he wants to do, easier on himself.
You speak for yourself, and certainly, your advice has been consistently good and aimed, for the most part, at my actual goals, but I notice a lot of advice that's more aimed at the goals that the person giving the advice would have in my place.

Even then, they're not necessarily trying to shame me (they might just not understand what I mean. I do have a tendency to explain myself poorly from time to time.) However, with remarks about how much I'm rejecting "good advice" and how there's no one in the world who can accept my attentions (or words to that effect,) it is a bit hard to see what the intended purpose is, if not to discourage me from real relationships as a whole.

I have noticed one or two commenters, however, who seem to mainly comment along a common theme, and the only reason I'm not pointing this out to them is that I directly asked for information on how others handle this. I'm willing to listen to whatever answers they have to give, though I may not necessarily take their advice, if doing so would keep me from my goals.