View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I am wanting to go back to school, but can't figure out what to do. So my question is what kind of jobs do you all do and do how taxing are they physically?

Have you ever had to leave a field of work due to your size?
Some fields may or may not be more fat-friendly than others, but there may be some steps we can take toward a more fat-friendly environment. Sometimes the hardest part is to be totally honest about our needs.

I've worked myself up the ladder and am now an office manager. I haven't had to leave a job due to my size, but sometimes I've had to make some major changes to make the workplace fat friendly. One of the biggest changes was to come right out and admit that I need a nice big heavy duty desk chair, and not just settle for any old chair without arms. My desk chair has arms, but it's also nice and wide with a 500lb capacity, so provided I don't eat a 50lb lunch it's just right. That chair has made a world of difference to my comfort and well-being. I even wheel it down the hall for meetings in our conference room. Sometimes when I step out and return to find someone else perched in my chair, I say, "I'm sorry, but you're not nearly fat enough to sit in my chair."

I also try to minimize my time on my feet, but I don't stay chained to my desk either. Some people where I work rarely leave their desks and just use the phone or e-mail to talk to people at another desk, and their size and weight aren't an issue. I'd much rather get up and walk over to whomever I need to talk too. It gives me that face-to-face time, and also it feels just plain good to stretch my legs.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote