Thread: Got happy?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Let me tell you a story:

A fisherman goes out in his boat at dawn. There are patches of fog on the lake, and as he rows his boat, all of a sudden he sees another boat coming straight at him through the fog! He rows furiously and shouts "Watch out!" but the boat just keeps coming and smacks right into him. He opens his mouth to give the other fellow a piece of his mind ... but there isn't anyone in the boat! It slipped its mooring, and the current carried it into his path. He starts to laugh.

Happiness, to me, is realizing that a lot of the things -- and people -- that irritate me are just empty boats. Certain events and conditions made them the way they are and set them on this course. The snippy salesclerk has had to deal with obnoxious customers all day; the guy who gives me the fish eye may have had words with his wife -- or his boss. If I can keep this in mind and not take the irritation to heart, they'll float on their way. I don't know when I first realized that happiness was less a matter of what happens to me than how I look at it, but I've been working on my attitude for thirty years now -- and I'll keep at it until they nail the box shut on me. And right now, I would have to say that I am the happiest person I know.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote