Thread: Got happy?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 07:26 PM   #23
Pharadox
Smiley :)

Pharadox can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesPharadox can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I learned over many years of being extremely unhappy that the reason I was unhappy was not because of the bad things that happened in my life, but my reactions to them. It is natural to react to bad situations with negative emotions. At the same time, however, dwelling does not really improve anything.

It's kind of like when I have a nightmare. As soon as I wake up from it, I change the ending of the dream in my head. One time I had a dream that my sister got hit by a train and after I woke up I decided that the real ending to the dream was that the train was a hologram and it went right through her, so was just fine. It no longer feels like a nightmare when I do that and I can go right back to sleep.

You can't really change real life that easily, but learning to change feelings about life can go a long way. I always try to remind myself that a year from now, today will only be a memory, but now while I will feel today the most I try to make the feelings the best they can be.