Thread: Fashion Police
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #59
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
On the topic of more formal clothing - did anyone have to deal with uniforms in school? Like...I went to both a religious elementary & high school. And I remember distinctly in high school, the authority being SO strict about it because they wanted to foster a sense of pride in appearance and professionalism, and whatever else.

What's the result? I pretty much wear (the classiest possible, mind you) sweatpants/a sweatshirt to lab, and avoid taking my coat off so I can hide the fact that I felt like being as lazy as possible. I really don't think it could have backfired more.
Ohhhh man, this. This exactly! I don't know of a single school in SA that does not impose the wearing of uniforms. I mean, there are some minor positives to it, but I've never understood how these people managed to believe they were going about fostering those qualities in the best way.

The association of "compulsory 'professional' uniform = being stifled" is the one that sticks. I think high school is a good time to do away with that kind of thing and allow for the exploration of individuality to come out a bit more.... with some structure and supervision to it, of course.

Silver lining: ten years later I still so appreciate being able to decide what I want to wear every day, even within the confines of a dress code.

-----------------
ETA: Back to the more general topic - I can see how a certain way of dressing may come off to someone (from a different micro-culture, perhaps) as 'not even trying.' And then I suppose there's 'trying too hard.'

I care about fashion quite a bit, in the sense that I find it a fascinating form of individual expression, and for the reasons given above. But I'm not inclined to make either of those two assumptions too easily. I don't know why. Not trying to say it's because I'm a saint who never judges people - I do >.< With clothes, I guess, I just have a bit more of a..... relativist approach?

Last edited by ODFFA; 03-12-2014 at 08:53 AM.
ODFFA is offline   Reply With Quote