Thread: Fashion Police
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #67
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
....uniforms in school? Like...because they wanted to foster a sense of pride in appearance and professionalism, and whatever else...What's the result? I pretty much wear (the classiest possible, mind you) sweatpants/a sweatshirt to lab, and avoid taking my coat off so I can hide the fact that I felt like being as lazy as possible. I really don't think it could have backfired more.
I would guess that your high school administration considers you and cases like yours a mark of their own success. School-uniforms aren't about pride in personal appearance as much as eliminating class or other types of social distinctions. Really, taking pride in anything but that. Weeding out the open expression of defiant individualism and pounding into young-psyches the idea of being a cog in a wheel. Whose role, if not entire purpose in life, is to focus on studying hard and obeying instructors and authority figures. Conforming. Assimilating. And sublimating whatever competitive spirit into the more 'appropriate' channels of sports, academics, or civics.

At least for as long as it takes to pass whatever tests or earn certain marks. And demonstrate a certain degree of self-discipline for learning & personal development.

Then, as a "reward," you get the freedom to be who or whatever you want to be.

That you're not so interested in whatever vanities as much as your own intellectual development would suggest it might work to some extent.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote