Thread: Fashion Police
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #68
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSensible View Post
Assuming that some of this is referring to my posts in the thread,
meh, not really. After skimming through the whole thread, those were the thoughts running around my head. Really not responding to anyone in particular, and for the most part I don't recall who said what. More of a general brain dump.

I guess the one thing I didn't mention was that I thought the way people responded to Agouderia was unfortunate. I'm a big believer in "Miller's Law" which goes
Quote:
To understand what another person is saying, you must assume that it is true and try to imagine what it could be true of.
I didn't feel like there was a lot of willingness to take that approach to what she was saying, and it felt like there was some 'piling on' responses too. Not saying that she didn't phrase things in ways that were somewhat provocative, but it felt like her fundamental point--that we DO get judged by how we present ourselves--was maybe ignored? (at least, that was what seemed like the core of her point to me, with the rest being "...and therefore one should x, y, and z" and I think it was the way she phrased that latter part that upset people).

So, for those of you who are militantly casual in dress, I'm curious:

- do you agree that how we dress and groom ourselves play an important role in how people respond to us?

- are your casual choices a deliberate attempt to send a particular message about yourself, or simply a matter of comfort and convenience?