View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #37
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

So...I really want to chime in on this topic, because it's actually crossed my mind quite a few times. But sort-of for the wrong reasons.

Mainly, I'm not exactly sure what playing hard to get actually entails It's just one of those terms I never automatically connected with an experience/concept. Sort of like heart-burn. The name is really straightforward!...but if you ask me to imagine it, it's just not gonna happen.

That being said, I'd go with paranoia as well. I'd say that acting the way that comes naturally to you is best. After all, you want someone who enjoys you for *you*. I guess there's a couple ways in which I could see a lot of direct expression of feelings going a little sour:

1. It happens really early in the friendship.
2. It comes up very frequently or too strongly, in a clingy sort of way?

But beyond that, I really don't see why being completely upfront would be a negative. Especially in the FFA/BHM context.

To try to answer your actual question about balancing - if you even need to at all - I suppose try to base it off how the other party is interacting with you? To steal a piece of writing advice I got in high school, "Show, don't tell." Rather than stating how you feel outright, convey it a bit more indirectly? It can serve as a more gradual gauge of reciprocation compared to just putting it out on the table. But that's coming from someone who's awful at directly verbalizing/textualizing emotions in the first place :/