Thread: Living Green.
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
biodieselman

biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Living Green.

Tina suggested I start a living green thread. I have no illusions about myself & don't pretend to be the 'green' expert. Nor do I pretend to know the final word on being green. But I would love to hear what you guys do to be green, no matter how insignificant you think it is. Any small effort benefits all of us. I would love to encourage people to at least try to be a better steward of earth.

My pet topic is biodiesel. I can give you pointers if you're considering ending your petroleum addiction. Future cars & trucks with new era diesel technology & Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel will be cleaner than gasoline engines plus get up to 40% better fuel economy. New diesels are as clean as a Prius & in my case of burning 100% biodiesel much cleaner than a Prius. Wow, my 3/4 ton truck is cleaner than a Prius, can you believe it? M.I.T. says total life cycle diesel/electric hybrids are as clean as a hydrogen fuel cell powered car. Cleaner if fueled by 100% biodiesel. You can't afford a fuel cell car even if they made one but in two or three years Honda will be selling diesels & diesel/electric hybrids. Honda aims to be the environmental auto maker.

Living green starts with conservation. Conservation doesn't get enough mention. It does not mean having to do without. If we use energy wisely we can still maintain our life style. One example is energy-wise florescent lighting. Only 11% of the energy incandescent bulbs consumes produces visible light, the rest is wasted as heat.

Something I do know about is organic vegetable gardening. I will gladly answer questions on small container vegetable gardening or backyard gardening. You won't believe how good food you have grown tastes. Plus there is a great feeling of satisfaction.

Recycling is another everyday commitment of mine. Of course, in Los Angeles county where we live recycling is easy- we just toss recyclables into a separate waste can for curb side pick-up. However, we do have to go out of our way to recycle all our used electronics. Did you know E-waste & batteries are considered hazardous toxic waste? The heavy metals in electronics leaches out of land fills & poisons our drinking water. E-waste is having a huge detrimental impact on the environment but not many people dispose of E-waste properly.

The steps to being green is a huge topic & I've only mentioned a few examples. What are you doing to help?

*Moderator's note: I have decided to move this thread to the lounge, with a shadow of it still in Hyde Park, because the environment is something of concern, I would thing, of every living being, and maybe because so many avoid HP, a lot of people were missing what I, and many others, have found to be a very valuable thread. Please feel free to contribute your ideas, also.

Last edited by Tina; 12-10-2007 at 10:02 PM.
biodieselman is offline   Reply With Quote