Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Surlysomething
2016!

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Sugar regulations?

STAY OUT OF MY KITCHEN! This really burns my ass.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

While I agree that sugar should not be regulated / taxed, I do think that modern society has gone overboard on sugar and it's bastardized cousins. I think it's probably more harmful than most people realize. And I say this as a person who *loves* sugar.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Add Salt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
While I agree that sugar should not be regulated / taxed, I do think that modern society has gone overboard on sugar and it's bastardized cousins. I think it's probably more harmful than most people realize. And I say this as a person who *loves* sugar.
Please add salt to that list.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Surlysomething
2016!

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think that's a persons choice though. The government doesn't need to go through my cupboards. Haha.

More education on food choices in the hospital when women have these babies. More education in school about healthier choices.

I do NOT remember this craziness when I was a kid.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

That's true, I don't remember it either, but the food industry has changed dramatically in the last 40 years...and people in general are eating a lot more processed foods than ever before.

Honestly, I don't think the issues of sugar (and salt) have so much to do with an individuals kitchen, but everything to do with how food is processed and produced. Odds are, if a person cooks from scratch, their levels are ok. What's unreasonable to me is that a jar of spaghetti sauce can have more sugar than a can of soda.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Surlysomething
2016!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
That's true, I don't remember it either, but the food industry has changed dramatically in the last 40 years...and people in general are eating a lot more processed foods than ever before.

Honestly, I don't think the issues of sugar (and salt) have so much to do with an individuals kitchen, but everything to do with how food is processed and produced. Odds are, if a person cooks from scratch, their levels are ok. What's unreasonable to me is that a jar of spaghetti sauce can have more sugar than a can of soda.

I totally agree. It's all the hidden stuff.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think regulation of it is just silly, there are always so many ways to dance around ingredients issues (if you add apple sauce, that has a variable amount of sugar, how does that score? What if you use corn syrup? etc, etc).

But a tax on refined sugar, and all forms of corn syrup....that I could see. It might make it less appealing to manufacturers to throw it into every old thing, while those who use it in moderation would not be hit very hard.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The government is not going to regulate the sale of sugar. For one thing, the Fed is pumping millions, and probably billions, into subsidizing sugar cane farms in Florida and Hawaii to keep the price of U.S. sugar low enough to undersell Cuban sugar. If we discourage people from buying sugar, then Castro wins!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Surlysomething
2016!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
If we discourage people from buying sugar, then Castro wins!

You're kidding, right?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Captain Save
never had a 40

Location: At the bottom of the coffee cup, with lots of chocolates and pastries.
Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I could see this as being punitive to those who may already be having a hard time just keeping food on the table, much less making wise food choices. As long as there is a market for processed food, the consumer should not be made the target of such measures; rather, the manufacturer should be 'discouraged' from producing things like the aforementioned spaghetti sauce with ridiculous and unwarranted amounts of sugar or sodium. Not too much since I also dislike government micromanaging in the marketplace, but enough to at least get their attention.

Any sugar subsidy issue could be addressed by tax credits to those who buy from U.S. based suppliers.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
seavixen
Ditz Extraordinaire

seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!seavixen has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have seriously mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the government taking a patriarchal, I-know-what's-best-for-you role in every aspect of our lives drives me crazy. On the other... well, ready-made, processed foods really are filled with a lot of junk; the idea that manufacturers should be discouraged from producing garbage food does make sense.

Still, I really wish that everyone could just be given some basic cooking education. Cooking from scratch is almost always cheaper, and often doesn't take much - if any - additional time. I used to use so much salt when I was a kid, and my mom would make a lot of ready-made food; now I hardly ever use it, even when cooking, because proper spicing gives such a full flavour - and nobody ever uses the salt in the shaker, because my food doesn't need it. It is the same with sugar; there's so much more to flavour than sweetness and saltiness.

If demand for their products fell, manufacturers would be forced to re-think what they're selling... the market would demand it.
seavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Companies will just replace sugar with something potentially more harmful, since it will likely be artificial.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Captain Save
never had a 40

Location: At the bottom of the coffee cup, with lots of chocolates and pastries.
Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Captain Save has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Agreed; most of the artificial substitues for natural ingredients that have been developed over the last several decades have been mediocre at best, and clearly substandard if not downright dangerous at their worst.

Seavixen, I also agree with you for the most part about cooking from scratch; I get a lot more reward from the accomplishment as well as control over the end product. I can easily see the example of someone who simply opts not to invest the time and attention into cooking something complex from scratch because they've been on their feet all day at work and still have several hours of work to do at home, i.e. college classes, kids, side job, etc. That's not the responsibility of food manufacturers, to deal with our busy lives; what we do with our time is our problem. Food manufactureres are supposed to make tons of money by providing its customers with respectable options rather than slowly killing off the populace with microwaveable trash in a box.

And all this from someone who drinks water or espresso all the time because all the soft drinks are just too sweet, and dislikes most convenience foods having about half the daily recommended allowance of sodium in a single serving; my salt is used only in baking.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
If we discourage people from buying sugar, then Castro wins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
You're kidding, right?
I wish I were. Subsidizing the U.S. sugar industry in order to cripple Cuba's economy has been part of our foreign policy for fifty years now. One reason sugar is routinely added to so many processed foods is because it's dirt cheap; and it's dirt cheap because it's U.S. foreign policy to keep the cost of sugar low.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
STAY OUT OF MY KITCHEN! This really burns my ass.
Not all food regulation is bad. I'm all for regulations that require better disclosures regarding what's actually in the food we eat. Current American food regulations only require that ingredients be listed from greatest to least. You have to take an educated guess as to how much of any given ingredient is actually in a particular food product. Personally I'd like regulators to require that the specific percentage by weight of each ingredient be listed on the label.

Such regulation would help ME control what's in MY kitchen.
bigmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
I totally agree. It's all the hidden stuff.
Hidden behind facade, upon facade and blessed by the FDA, USDA, and several other alphabet agencies. . How many different names for example does MSG hide behind? No one actually knows!

I'm not a "health nut" by any means, but having been a farmer and avid gardener. .what they euphemistically refer to as "food". .frightens me!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Surlysomething
2016!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Not all food regulation is bad. I'm all for regulations that require better disclosures regarding what's actually in the food we eat. Current American food regulations only require that ingredients be listed from greatest to least. You have to take an educated guess as to how much of any given ingredient is actually in a particular food product. Personally I'd like regulators to require that the specific percentage by weight of each ingredient be listed on the label.

Such regulation would help ME control what's in MY kitchen.
I'm really just concentrating on sugar. Haha.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
Azrael

Azrael does more than just post hot picsAzrael does more than just post hot picsAzrael does more than just post hot pics

I'd agree with a sugar tax.

The article mentions creating a mininimum age for buying sugar and honestly, I think that idea is rediculous.

But taxing sugar? I believe that is perfectly fine.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I wish I were. Subsidizing the U.S. sugar industry in order to cripple Cuba's economy has been part of our foreign policy for fifty years now. One reason sugar is routinely added to so many processed foods is because it's dirt cheap; and it's dirt cheap because it's U.S. foreign policy to keep the cost of sugar low.
Not just cane sugar but other cash crops like corn, potatoes, soy, and wheat. These foods and their derivatives are in processed food because they are so cheap. And companies like Monsanto have powerful lobbies and will do whatever it takes to keep prices low even if it means driving smaller farmers and farms out of business and compromising the quality of the crop itself. Sugar itself will never be taxed in this country, however processed foods made with sugar just might get taxed at some point.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
lypeaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by seavixen View Post
If demand for their products fell, manufacturers would be forced to re-think what they're selling... the market would demand it.
This has proven somewhat true for High Fructose Corn Syrup....just the other day I saw..I think it was Heinz ketchup, with the label boldly saying "now made with REAL sugar!"

Problem is, sugar is addictive (at least for some people)..so the odds of the public demanding less sugar is unlikely. There's a reason companies put it in their food. They have taste tests...and "sweeter" wins. They don't do it just for giggles.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Sugar pushers, salt pushers, Watch out pepper and paprika you could be next. Get out of the cinnamon cartel while you can.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #22
Surlysomething
2016!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggletiger View Post
Sugar pushers, salt pushers, Watch out pepper and paprika you could be next. Get out of the cinnamon cartel while you can.

Paprika, run for your life!!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Safe!

Quote:
Paprika, run for your life!!
I'm thinking pepper and paprika will not be endangered, as they are part of a good-sized world of relatively safe flavor enhancers, IMHO.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #24
truebebeblue
Balls,I kicks em.

truebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions communitytruebebeblue is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Our food industry is horrible and that is because it has become a corporate monopoly with control over government agencies. MONSANTO is no less than EVIL.
truebebeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
J34
Purple Monkey Dishwasher!

J34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityJ34 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

This all reminds me of a Simpsons episode.

I believe Marge was trying to ban sugar in Springfield.