Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 02-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
LordQuas
óreflow Dollar$

LordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 club
Default Hypothetical question

A friend of mine posed this to me (she's a "thick" white woman, for the record) as a hypothetical and I found it fascinating for some reason

If you took 100 "average" white guys with the stereotypical "average white guy" taste in women and presented then with the option of having sex with a fat white chick with an hourglass shape or a thin black woman with an hourglass shape what do you think the results would be?

I dunno, maybe Im the only one that thinks stuff like this is interesting
Old 02-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
BigCutieBonnie

BigCutieBonnie knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieBonnie knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieBonnie knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieBonnie knows EXACTLY what's going onBigCutieBonnie knows EXACTLY what's going on

I don't get this at all.....

So a white man has to choose between a skinny black girl and a fat white woman?

I really don't see the point of this question.....
BigCutieBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.
tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

at the end of the day ...as long as folks are happy who they are with that's all that matters.....

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
musicman
I hate fat-haters!

musicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging in

As research, your friend's question is useless. Suppose you get the answer. How do you know whether the result is due to race or weight? You can only have one variable in a question like that. Everything else must be constant.

On the other hand, I think it says something about your friend's insecurities. Maybe that's why you found it fascinating?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
wrestlingguy
No more Mr. Nice Guy

wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!
wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'll take "TheRapists" for $600, Alex...............
Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
tinkerbell

tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tinkerbell has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post

lol
Old 02-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

So given the choice between two things that a stereotype is, stereotypically, not attracted to, which would said stereotype prefer?

I'd assume that the answer has more to do with the person posing the question than the hypothetical stereotypical white male.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.
AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Whichever one lets him have sex with her.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
PhiloGirl
is still around

PhiloGirl does more than just post hot picsPhiloGirl does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post
I second the

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Whichever one lets him have sex with her.
lol You are so right!

I admit though, I also find the question itself interesting, because I think it seeks to examine stereotypes. But to come up with any sort of answer to it, one has to rely on stereotypes...

Last edited by PhiloGirl; 02-04-2012 at 05:32 PM.
PhiloGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
S13Drifter
JDM Fanboy

S13Drifter does more than just post hot picsS13Drifter does more than just post hot picsS13Drifter does more than just post hot pics

That question is a fallacy, if they choose the thin black girl its because she is thin, if they pick the fat white girl then it is because she is white. That is the average mind set of any results taken from this test.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Lovelyone
Fat, and loveable!

Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!Lovelyone keeps pushing the rep limit!

I know men who would say..."Can't I have both? At the same time? With their twins?"
Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

Forgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13Drifter View Post
That question is a fallacy, if they choose the thin black girl its because she is thin, if they pick the fat white girl then it is because she is white. That is the average mind set of any results taken from this test.
This. The root assumption is that the average stereotypical white male, being presented with two choices, both being a stereotypical positive and a stereotypical negative at the same time, will ultimately choose one or the other based on the positive stereotype... and statistically, it should be an even split.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
LordQuas
óreflow Dollar$

LordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 clubLordQuas is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
As research, your friend's question is useless. Suppose you get the answer. How do you know whether the result is due to race or weight? You can only have one variable in a question like that. Everything else must be constant.

On the other hand, I think it says something about your friend's insecurities. Maybe that's why you found it fascinating?
That's a pretty big leap to assume my friend was asking this question out of insecurity, maybe that's indicative of YOUR insecurities?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
LordQuas
óreflow Dollar$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
So given the choice between two things that a stereotype is, stereotypically, not attracted to, which would said stereotype prefer?

I'd assume that the answer has more to do with the person posing the question than the hypothetical stereotypical white male.
I ghave no idea what you meant by this
Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
LordQuas
óreflow Dollar$

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13Drifter View Post

Yeah that's the point....
Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
chicken legs
yawn

chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chicken legs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordQuas View Post
A friend of mine posed this to me (she's a "thick" white woman, for the record) as a hypothetical and I found it fascinating for some reason

If you took 100 "average" white guys with the stereotypical "average white guy" taste in women and presented then with the option of having sex with a fat white chick with an hourglass shape or a thin black woman with an hourglass shape what do you think the results would be?

Where is this typical white guy from? I ask because racism and fat hate varies in different areas.
chicken legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

So she wonders if a white guy would pick a thin black girl over her? What difference does it make? Tell her to stop comparing herself to other women.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
LordQuas
óreflow Dollar$

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
So she wonders if a white guy would pick a thin black girl over her? What difference does it make? Tell her to stop comparing herself to other women.

Lol I'll be sure to pass your advice along
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Lol I'll be sure to pass your advice along
What other reason is there to ask that question? It's just not the kind of thing one asks just for the sake of asking.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just never see the point in the Suffering Olympics, and trying to argue about whose suffering or oppression is worse than another's.

Racism exists and is destructive and horrendous.
Sizeism exists and is destructive and horrendous.
The End.

(I'm not saying that one isn't worse than the other, just that arguing about it doesn't seem to bear any helpful fruit.)
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #21
LordQuas
óreflow Dollar$

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
What other reason is there to ask that question? It's just not the kind of thing one asks just for the sake of asking.

Because we're psych majors and we like exploring the psychology behind why people act the way they act
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #22
LordQuas
óreflow Dollar$

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth View Post
I just never see the point in the Suffering Olympics, and trying to argue about whose suffering or oppression is worse than another's.

Racism exists and is destructive and horrendous.
Sizeism exists and is destructive and horrendous.
The End.

(I'm not saying that one isn't worse than the other, just that arguing about it doesn't seem to bear any helpful fruit.)

llol how in the world did you draw that from this thread?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
LordQuas
óreflow Dollar$

How can I delete this thread? Im sorry I failed miserably to spark any sort of meaningful discussion and I seem to just be pissing people off
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #24
LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!LovelyLiz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
llol how in the world did you draw that from this thread?
Isn't that the point and the implication of the question? Which group has it harder/easier than the other? If men would rather sleep with a thin black woman than a fat white woman, then we can assume that fat is a more stigmatized quality than blackness, and vice versa.

I don't find the question offensive at all, and I'm not pissed off by it at all. I just think these kinds of arguments aren't really that fruitful.
LovelyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Because we're psych majors and we like exploring the psychology behind why people act the way they act
Well when you put it like that, then it makes me feel like I'm in a petri dish and you're just throwing a potentially offensive question out there just to see how the lab rats run the maze and that makes me uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth View Post
Isn't that the point and the implication of the question? Which group has it harder/easier than the other? If men would rather sleep with a thin black woman than a fat white woman, then we can assume that fat is a more stigmatized quality than blackness, and vice versa.

I don't find the question offensive at all, and I'm not pissed off by it at all. I just think these kinds of arguments aren't really that fruitful.
^^This--mostly. I wasn't offended by this question at first, but the more I thought about it the more offended I became. If this woman were to ask this question with black people in the room I gotta wonder how it would have turned out. All the racism going on around here is not making me feel at all comfortable.