Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default who put the T in Lgbtq?

This is actually something i have been thinking about for a while.
When i was at college i was an 'lgb' officer. when did the 't' get added?
I am glad that transexuals are welcome in the queer community but isnt transexuality considered a gender issue and not a sexuality one?
Were they accepted because at some point either before or after transition they would have been gay? ie If someone was a woman who was attracted to women and wanted to be male after their transition they would be straight but they used to be gay,,,hmm still there?? lol. Kinna like bisexual women who now go out with guys..kinna..
Anyway, i find it interesting..does anyone know when the T was added and what the considerations made were etc???
Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
sowhat
Contains no MSG

sowhat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessowhat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
This is actually something i have been thinking about for a while.
When i was at college i was an 'lgb' officer. when did the 't' get added? Don't know, I was born in the late 80s.

I am glad that transexuals are welcome in the queer community but isnt transexuality considered a gender issue and not a sexuality one?
Gender Issue. Gender Identity Disorder is the clinical diagnosis in the DSMIV. Transpeople have sexual issues too, but not above average or anything because we're no more fucked up than the rest of the population.

Were they accepted because at some point either before or after transition they would have been gay? ie If someone was a woman who was attracted to women and wanted to be male after their transition they would be straight but they used to be gay,,,hmm still there?? lol. Kinna like bisexual women who now go out with guys..kinna..
Whenever I've talked to others, it's been a sentence rather than saying a convenient set of labels. When a label was used it was relative to their gender without regard to gender representation at the time. There isn't really an established labeling system that I've seen.

I think part of the correlation with GLB organizations is that there are some partial similarities between a TS and a gay/bi person, such as legal disenfranchisement as well as losing friends and family when you come out(some come around, some don't...).

However, there is some dissention in the ranks. Legal rights for GLB people are still more developed and farreaching than those for transpeople, and even some GLB organizations have tossed trans inclusion in bills if it allows it to gain more ground. There are transphobic GLB people, some viewing it as muddying the waters, as some sort of copout of being gay. Things are just weird when rights are sought.

Anyway, i find it interesting..does anyone know when the T was added and what the considerations made were etc???
I'm ts, so I'll try to break this down to the best of my ability with responses up above. Someone else will hopefully chime in with more to add.
sowhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowhat View Post
I'm ts, so I'll try to break this down to the best of my ability with responses up above. Someone else will hopefully chime in with more to add.
Thanks for your response. I always thought it was great that trans folk were included. I just remember one year i saw some poster for lgbt and realised trans people are now included as part of the lesbian/gay/bi community. I suppose the gay scene has always been sunonomous with transexuals/transvestites/transgendered people/cross dressers and so it is only right that they officially are represented in the queer community. I am definatly of the oppinion 'the more the merrier' and i think its shitty that trans people dont have a lot of the same rights that gay people have managed to get over the past few years. Hopefully this will change soon. Nice to meet you, hope to read more of your posts soon!
xmer
Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well, the T was already there when I started university in 2002. There was a little house on campus that was the lgbt services building. It had nice couches, magazines, music - I used to hang out there a fair amount.

And they gave us free ice cream!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Mer, for as long as I can remember the T has always been in there....I don't ever remember it not being there. Gay Lesbian Bi Transgender Queer....could it be a UK vs. U.S. thing?
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
Bellyjeansgirl

Bellyjeansgirl can now change their title

I was about to ask about the Queer part.

What's the definition of queer in the UK? I always thought queer = gay. Does it mean something else over there?

I read it and thought maybe Q was for "questioning".

Always seen GLBT.
Bellyjeansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

I have no idea when it was added or if in fact Olwen hit it on the head as merely a cultural difference Mer. I always assumed however that the reason GLB and T were grouped is because they are all unfairly stigmatized for not following the sexuality of the majority. There is some security to be found in numbers and it's much harder for the bigots of the world to marginalize when the group is bigger.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

No, back before the 90's, it was pretty much just G and L. In fact, if you read the history of many of the organizations, there was a fight to include not only the T, but the B as well. I did some volunteer work one summer with a GLBT professional organization, and to look at their historical documents, you see T folks agitating for inclusion, and GL people resisting.

Even today, with ENDA, there was a huge outcry within the community when Congressional leaders intentionally left off Trans people because they thought the bill would more likely pass without the inclusion of Trans folks alongside Gays and Lesbians. I believe they have since responded to the objections over this and have now included Trans people in the language of the bill.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
Mer, for as long as I can remember the T has always been in there....I don't ever remember it not being there. Gay Lesbian Bi Transgender Queer....could it be a UK vs. U.S. thing?
yes, i think it is. When i first went to college it was about 12 years ago though but i remember it was just lgb for ages after that. I imagine the 'T' was added in America first though... we need to look up both our queer history books methinks!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyjeansgirl View Post
I was about to ask about the Queer part.

What's the definition of queer in the UK? I always thought queer = gay. Does it mean something else over there?

I read it and thought maybe Q was for "questioning".

Always seen GLBT.
hmm.. i just assumed it ment queer! lmao!
Maby it is questioning.. though is questioning a sexuality?
hmm..like 'bi-curious' or something?
hmm..i kinna like the thought it could mean 'queer' cause that pretty much encompasses everyone..which is what i like in most of the groups i wish to be a part of.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #11
fa_foo

fa_foo can now change their title
Default Actually, it's even more alphabet!

The whole circus requires a lot of letters!

LGBTTIQ=
Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transsexual, Transgendered, (or Trans-identified and Two-spirit), Intersex, Queer (or Questioning)
And don't forget about the GQ (Genderqueer)

http://web.uvic.ca/~kreed/331/index.html
http://www.ualberta.ca/~inout/IO_About.html

"women who exude toughness but underneath are big softies.More than any physical trait I find women who carry themselves with a bit of a swagger deathly hot."
--wistful
fa_foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #12
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

People shouldn't have to identify as anything really. It's no one's business except theirs and those they choose to have relationships with.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #13
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa_foo View Post

LGBTTIQ=
Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transsexual, Transgendered, (or Trans-identified and Two-spirit), Intersex, Queer (or Questioning)

hmmm.. not very catchy though is it??
we need a better arrangement of queer acronym i feel!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
No, back before the 90's, it was pretty much just G and L. In fact, if you read the history of many of the organizations, there was a fight to include not only the T, but the B as well. I did some volunteer work one summer with a GLBT professional organization, and to look at their historical documents, you see T folks agitating for inclusion, and GL people resisting.

Even today, with ENDA, there was a huge outcry within the community when Congressional leaders intentionally left off Trans people because they thought the bill would more likely pass without the inclusion of Trans folks alongside Gays and Lesbians. I believe they have since responded to the objections over this and have now included Trans people in the language of the bill.
Ah okay, that explains why I've never heard another version. I was a kid in the 80's.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #15
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa_foo View Post

LGBTTIQ=

LGBTBar-B-Que...yeah, it's time for bed when acronym barbeque sounds funny to you.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #16
mergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
LGBTBar-B-Que...yeah, it's time for bed when acronym barbeque sounds funny to you.
Lol agreed! though i think its pretty funny too and its only 11.45am here! perhaps i should have a snooze!