Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BBW Forum

Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #26
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
I have an AMAZING Doctor and feel very fortunate. When we do my blood pressure now it's on a machine that takes it 6 times and gives an average reading. I can go in there stressed out of my mind but she takes me in her private office, hooks me up to the machine and leaves. When she comes back my blood pressure is perfect. Plus we have a rule, no talking about my family while I get it taken. Haha.

I swear, having a caring physician is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
lol that reminds me of the ONE high bp reading i had during my pregnancy with Alex. Max was with me and acting like a brat while we were in the waiting room. I usually did my appointments while he was in school or day care but this appointment i had to bring him with me. It was like 140 over 85 because of him!!

That is a good rule of no family talk
Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #27
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
It happens a lot, Olwen. That's why I tell people who have high blood pressure that's borderline or maybe being considered for treatment to go by the fire station or a drug store and have it taken that way. Keep track of the dates and results and give them to your doctor. Usually it's the top number (the systolic) that goes up in the presence of stress, but even the diastolic can go up. My BP is nice and low now, but it was high today after getting an injection; in retrospect it would have been better to take it before giving me the shot but they weren't really worried about hypertension but it was one of those "We have you here, we have to take a set of vitals" kinds of thing.

It's really important to look at circumstances when evaluating blood pressure, but it seems like the medical community is treating hypertension at lower and lower levels because the potential to do damage to the small vessels is enormous.

As for the original OP, ouch. That's awful. On the one hand, when they do our yearly visit they usually do a pretty complete physical, which is nice since you can get it out of the way. But the fat phobic "chat"?? Not so good.
I didn't know you could get your bp taken at a fire station. That's good to know. Only, what if there are hot firemen around? No way I'd be calm enough then.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #28
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
I have an AMAZING Doctor and feel very fortunate. When we do my blood pressure now it's on a machine that takes it 6 times and gives an average reading. I can go in there stressed out of my mind but she takes me in her private office, hooks me up to the machine and leaves. When she comes back my blood pressure is perfect. Plus we have a rule, no talking about my family while I get it taken. Haha.

I swear, having a caring physician is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Oooh, I like this idea. I'll have to keep that in mind when I care for hypertensive women. I try to keep it light when I'm taking their blood pressure, but I know that just my presence can be enough to stress them out. And yeah... no family talk. Nothing like discussing family issues to raise the ol' BP. I'm glad you have a doctor that treats you the way you deserve. I wish this weren't seemingly such a rare occurrence, because it's something we all deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
I didn't know you could get your bp taken at a fire station. That's good to know. Only, what if there are hot firemen around? No way I'd be calm enough then.
Hee. No kidding! You should see us when we get a transport at work. We all crowd around like teenage girls, and manage to come up with some excuse to go to the triage area, a place we usually avoid like the plague. Fifty year old women acting like kids, I tell ya.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #29
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Oooh, I like this idea. I'll have to keep that in mind when I care for hypertensive women. I try to keep it light when I'm taking their blood pressure, but I know that just my presence can be enough to stress them out. And yeah... no family talk. Nothing like discussing family issues to raise the ol' BP. I'm glad you have a doctor that treats you the way you deserve. I wish this weren't seemingly such a rare occurrence, because it's something we all deserve.

I've always had an issue with the medical community as a whole because my experience as a young child who had a mother die of cancer really stuck with me. Doctor's meant being VERY sick and hospitals meant dying people with no hair and being in excruciating pain. It took me awhile to find my own Dr because of this. I did research and kind of interviewed a few MD's before settling on one. She's a lot like me in personality which I really appreciate and she listens, what a novelty.

But yes, the blood pressure testing is quite funny but being a little creative like that can work wonders for you patient's piece of mind.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #30
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
I also really wish that healthcare professionals really understood that their attitudes can sometimes prevent fat people from seeking medical care. Would the rates for so called obesity related diseases be lower if we were more willing to seek out preventative care?
I so agree. My first gyno experience, at 19, was so horrible, that I didn't go back for 20 years, and by then, I had lost my fertility and had numerous other health problems from PCOS. The doctor at my first gyno exam was so brutal with me that I was terrified to ever go back. The first thing he said, when he walked into the room and saw me, was "I hate working on fat girls". I was maybe 180 lbs and a size 14 at the time. He jammed the biggest speculum in me that he had, and when I told him he was hurting me he said "You're a big girl, you can take it". (I was a virgin) I felt violated and my already frail self-esteem was destroyed. My periods were always erratic, sometimes I could go a year in between cycles, but I just ignored it, because I couldn't face the lectures and violations. Flash forward 20 years and I get very sick. I was in hospital for a week, and the doctor diagnosed me with CHF, Apnea and borderline diabetic. She also said some of those symptoms were consistant with PCOS and she wanted me to get tested. I put it off and put it off, until she got mad and asked why. I finally relented and told her I was terrified. She eased me through the whole process and confirmed the PCOS. Too late for my fertililty, and now the diabetes is confirmed. I still hate going for the pelvic exam, but I do it, because my current doctor rocks.

I have had doctors blame my weight for everything from strep throat to swimmer's ear. Idiots
Old 03-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #31
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
I so agree. My first gyno experience, at 19, was so horrible, that I didn't go back for 20 years, and by then, I had lost my fertility and had numerous other health problems from PCOS. The doctor at my first gyno exam was so brutal with me that I was terrified to ever go back. The first thing he said, when he walked into the room and saw me, was "I hate working on fat girls". I was maybe 180 lbs and a size 14 at the time. He jammed the biggest speculum in me that he had, and when I told him he was hurting me he said "You're a big girl, you can take it". (I was a virgin) I felt violated and my already frail self-esteem was destroyed. My periods were always erratic, sometimes I could go a year in between cycles, but I just ignored it, because I couldn't face the lectures and violations. Flash forward 20 years and I get very sick. I was in hospital for a week, and the doctor diagnosed me with CHF, Apnea and borderline diabetic. She also said some of those symptoms were consistant with PCOS and she wanted me to get tested. I put it off and put it off, until she got mad and asked why. I finally relented and told her I was terrified. She eased me through the whole process and confirmed the PCOS. Too late for my fertililty, and now the diabetes is confirmed. I still hate going for the pelvic exam, but I do it, because my current doctor rocks.

I have had doctors blame my weight for everything from strep throat to swimmer's ear. Idiots
That pisses me off. That guy should have his license revoked. What the fuck is wrong with doctors like that? Whatever happened to "first do no harm?" Or is it "First do no harm, unless the patient is fat."

I'm glad you have a good doctor now and that you're taking care of your health.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #32
That1BigGirl
Bella Nom Noms

That1BigGirl does more than just post hot picsThat1BigGirl does more than just post hot picsThat1BigGirl does more than just post hot picsThat1BigGirl does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post

HOLY SHIT. Wow. I had a pretty bad gyno experience before, but NOTHING like that. I'm glad you finally got a good doc though!

As for PCP's... It took me years, but I finally got one that I LOVE (a guy to boot!) I don't know why but I seem to have crappy luck with female's as PCP's- for gyno's... it's been mixed, my current gyno is about 5' tall and maybe 100lbs. But- she's never once said my weight will harm my health etc, only that yes, if I had to have a C-section (when I was pregnant) I *may* have a harder time. She didn't accuse or anything and didn't give me a lecture on it. (Thank goodness!)

I think my new PCP is a closet FA though. All the nurses etc are larger women, and when I went in to talk to him the first time and laid down the law- my weight doesn't cause strep etc etc his words were basically- If you come to me wanting help with diet issues, we'll talk. Unless I see something that could be helped via weight loss, it's a non issue and I don't take weight into factor for things like strep.

Today will always be remembered as the day I was asked, "So, do fat women wear pants?" And I was standing in front of them wearing blue jeans. :doh:
That1BigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #33
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I got the "weight talk" the last two checkups.They were kind of lets say less than tactfull.
You know your weight is up again is there a problem we need to talk about? I could suggest a therapist for you weight problem.OMG.
I felt like asking the nurse if she had a dick problem because she was acting like one!
Nosey asses!!!!

Last edited by Tracii; 03-14-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #34
Pookie

Pookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 club

urgh, I have watched my GP get bigger and bigger over the last couple years, last time he even didnt bother standing up to get something from the other side of the room and just rolled his chair across then back.

He clearly isn't following the 'advice' he dishes out so regulary and snarkily to me.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote