Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Celestial Ceece
SSBBW Singer

Celestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this board
Default Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage

As a Vermonter, I've never been more proud to be from our amazing state. In 2000, we legalized Civil Unions, after the Vermont Supreme Court ruled that not having gay marriage/civil unions for gay people was unconstitutional. So our legislature took up the issue and passed Civil Unions.

Then, this year, the legislature decided that marriage provides more equality than Civil Unions do. Gay marriage would mean a lot for our state, but the most important thing this bill offers is EQUAL RIGHTS! Civil Unions fell short on certain issues such as the ability to see one's partner at a hospital.

For the past few weeks, it has been a battle, but not an uphill one, as most Vermonters support gay marriage. Though we might have a state the is largely democratic and progressive (and the legislature is made up of a democratic majority), we still have a Republican Governor. That made this all the more interesting because for a while, he was mum on the issue, saying it was a waste of time. He didn't say whether or not he would veto the bill until just recently.

Then, last night, as the bill passed through the House (after passing the Senate) the passed legislation was handed to the Governor's office, then promptly (and dramatically) handed back by his staff. He had already made his position clear and was symbolically saying he didn't accept it. Then his pen came out and he vetoed it. Marriage should remain between a man and a woman, he argued.

This morning, the Senate overrided the veto easily. The house was different - there was speculation that the bill might not pass the house because prior to this morning, the numbers didn't add up FOR gay marriage. Then the vote came and the house decided to support gay marriage, and overrided the Governor's veto.

I have been active on this issue and have written emails, made phone calls, and have also been on the receiving end of phone calls from the opposition (how in the heck did they get my number in the first place - I'm on the do not call list?). The opposition left a message on my machine: Please call and tell so-and-so to support Governor Douglas and something something marriage between a man and a woman, something something God, etc.

Anyway, what an exciting day for Vermont! I am happy to be here and queer, and thankful that our state is so progressive! Now who wants to marry me?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Celestial Ceece
SSBBW Singer

Celestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this boardCelestial Ceece carries a lot of weight on this board
Default Link

Forgot to include an article link...here ya go:

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...53648V20090407
Old 04-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Woohoo, good for you, Vermont! (skiing, maple syrup, now gay marriage....we're going to have to make you honorary Canadians soon )
Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
Woohoo, good for you, Vermont! (skiing, maple syrup, now gay marriage....we're going to have to make you honorary Canadians soon )
This is what i was thinking. I always thought Vermont was very Canadaesque somehow, what with its forward thinking and tasty syrup! lol
Anyway, well done Vermont.!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
LisaInNC

LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LisaInNC has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yay Vermont!! Now if we could get the rest of the backwards states to open their eyes, everything will be great!!

Sometimes, being a bitch is all a woman has to hang on to.
LisaInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
GWARrior

GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have also loved Vermont. Its beautiful, the people are accepting... and now this!!! YAY!
GWARrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Celestial Ceece
SSBBW Singer

Default I LOVE Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
Canada is definitely one of my favorite places on earth - and since I live so close to the border I get their news and television stations...I have a HUGE appreciation for Canada and have even toyed around with the idea of moving there from time to time. But I'll stay in Vermont (conquer my homestate first, then move on to other places).

And we are more than just maple syrup and gay marriage. We are renowned for our cheddar (cabot, grafton), plus Green Mountain Coffee - I believe McDonald's uses their coffee (Newman's own) now and it is wildly popular. Oh yes, and Phish (the band), and, well I can't think of other things that we have produced but we have a lot of great stuff here in Vermont!

Our scenery is unbeatable too. Just come to the Northern part of Vermont and stay away from the Bennington area (I'm originally from there so I can say what I like about it - though a major revoluationary war battle was centered around there so it does have a lot of history).

We are progressive innovators in so many ways, even though we are the whitest state in the union.

I forgot to mention also that we are the first state to pass a gay marriage law without being told by the courts to do so. We took the initiative - and the majority of people wanted this! YAY!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
rundmc25
Papa Grande

rundmc25 can now change their title

Vermont is pretty awesome! I lived on the MA border of VT for several years and you can definitely tell when you've crossed the state border due to all of the quaint looking VT syrup stores and all of that good wholesome VT stuff. Anyway, I have a friend who works at a GLBT organization in Burlington and he was very excited about it. However, he was telling me that the past few weeks have also been a kind of scary time for his organization due to the fact that the "crazies" have been flocking in from all over to protest outside of his work.

I'll marry you by the way! And due to the fact that I am still going through a bureaucratic hell to get the sex marker changed on my NYC birth certificate, it would technically be a same sex marriage!
rundmc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Celestial Ceece
SSBBW Singer

Default Ohhh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundmc25 View Post
Vermont is pretty awesome! I lived on the MA border of VT for several years and you can definitely tell when you've crossed the state border due to all of the quaint looking VT syrup stores and all of that good wholesome VT stuff. Anyway, I have a friend who works at a GLBT organization in Burlington and he was very excited about it. However, he was telling me that the past few weeks have also been a kind of scary time for his organization due to the fact that the "crazies" have been flocking in from all over to protest outside of his work.

I'll marry you by the way! And due to the fact that I am still going through a bureaucratic hell to get the sex marker changed on my NYC birth certificate, it would technically be a same sex marriage!
Gender is unimportant to me, honestly! I've dated a variety of people of different identities! So PM me and lets get this marriage headed towards consummation.

Nice to meet you, btw!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
CCC

CCC has super-sized repCCC has super-sized repCCC has super-sized repCCC has super-sized rep

This was all over every Dartmouth college newspaper the other day (being a stone's throw away from Vermont, of course). Congrats!!
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
Eclectic_Girl
Rock n Roll Babe

Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Eclectic_Girl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hiya - Vermonter here, too!

Which GLBT org does your friend work at? (PM me if you want to keep it private) One of my oldest friends has worked for OutRight and RU12, so maybe we have mutual friends. (Note: in Vermont, we play 4 degrees of Separation, not 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundmc25 View Post

Some people feel the only way to enact change is by a full on assault, kicking and screaming, the ultimate tunnel visionary. I prefer the model of standing in the stream, disrupting the flow, and living large. If there are enough of us out there, things do change. - EvilPrincess

I'm in your paradigm, rejecting the premise.

Fat and Happy: Just because I'm "morbidly obese" doesn't mean I have to be morbid.
Eclectic_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
rundmc25
Papa Grande

rundmc25 can now change their title

He works at ru12
rundmc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Celestial Ceece
SSBBW Singer

Default Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic_Girl View Post
Hiya - Vermonter here, too!

Which GLBT org does your friend work at? (PM me if you want to keep it private) One of my oldest friends has worked for OutRight and RU12, so maybe we have mutual friends. (Note: in Vermont, we play 4 degrees of Separation, not 6)
You're right about 4 degrees vs 6! I too have friends and acquaintances that work at RU12...or have worked there. I also have friends involved in the queer and fat activism scenes in Vermont and in particular Burlington and Montpelier.

My friends are Leslie, Clark, Kara, Jen, and a few others that I won't mention but are important to me - and the queer community.

Maybe we'll all meet up at pride in a few months!