Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default 17 Year Old Girl Sues, Changes School Policy, And Will Wear Her Tuxedo To Prom

Found this bit on Jezebel.com today.

Good for the girl for sticking up for her rights. Stupid school.

Quote:
A 17-year-old lesbian in Lebanon, Indiana was all set to go to prom until her principal informed her that the dress code restricted girls from wearing tuxedos, forcing them to wear gowns instead.

The girl, who is not identified due to her age, decided to fight back, suing the school with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union, on the grounds that the school's restrictive dress code was a case of gender discrimination and a denial of the girl's right to free speech. At first, the school attempted to placate the girl by discussing pantsuit options, but that was soon dismissed, as school officials reversed their dress code standards just four days after the suit was filed, releasing this statement: "School policy for this year's prom will be that all attendees shall wear appropriate formal attire with no gender-based attire requirements imposed. Female students will be permitted to wear tuxedos if they choose."
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Good for her. I remember on my prom night, being jealous of my date's tux, it was so lovely and retro, and I was stuck in the only dress I could find that fit.

Someday I'll have to go to one of those queer proms for adults, and wear a vintage tuxedo of my own.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

Great that the school relented!

I wore dress pants, hot pink lipstick and a mohawk to my prom. Not masculine enough to draw attention but definitely queer enough for me. A straight female friend was my date for the night. <3

I don't know queer proms for adults existed. Guess the girls will be fighting over you there too, Butch.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Some schools are so uptight....gawd.

I didn't go to my actual prom, but went to a friend's wearing a see-through bondage dress and no underwear No one said a damn thing, hahaha.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

Haha, how see-through is that dress Melian?

People are probably too busy gawking!
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
seasuperchub84

seasuperchub84 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesseasuperchub84 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

And to this, I thank God I didn't go to the prom. I was at home, eating of course, playing a video game :-)
seasuperchub84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
bexy
is red again &lt;3

bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yey so the boys can wear dresses too then!? I want to see pics of that prom!

And good on her!

With loves, and hates, and passions just like mine.
bexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Jigen

Jigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going onJigen knows EXACTLY what's going on

I don't know how important this prom could be for a girl, since in my country we don't have this consuetude. However, I think it is really improtant. My only fear is, that some jerk could play a nasty trick on her, and eventually the girl she could have eventually invited. Is this the consuetude? I apologize for my ignorance, but we don't have this tradition. At best, we usually have a little party at the end of the school year, in July.
Sappho, VI century BC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigen View Post
I don't know how important this prom could be for a girl, since in my country we don't have this consuetude. However, I think it is really improtant. My only fear is, that some jerk could play a nasty trick on her, and eventually the girl she could have eventually invited. Is this the consuetude? I apologize for my ignorance, but we don't have this tradition. At best, we usually have a little party at the end of the school year, in July.
I had to look up the word consuetude. It means custom for those who don't know either.

I would imagine that she might have gotten made fun of even before the prom, since I'm sure the whole school must have heard about her battle. The prom is like a formal dance. I bet tho that the girl probably would have been able to hold her own.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
george83
DADDY IN A DRESS

george83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging ingeorge83 makes people happy simply by logging in

Our school did not have a prom so I don't know how big it must be for anyone, but going by what I have seen in amercian movies and tv shows its a huge thing for every teenage girl or boy and I think it's awesome she stuck up for her rights.

This is to every boy and girl who goes to their prom wearing what they want .
Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
olwen
Disco Bear

For you non-americans, yes it tends to be a big huge deal. Some schools have a prom for seniors and another one for juniors, but the senior prom is the huge one because it represents a turning point from childhood into adult hood, it's almost like a rite of passage. People spend a lot of money on it too from the gown and tux to the limo and dinner or a house party afterwards. For some teens it's like the last chance to loose your virginity before going off to college.

That said, I didn't go to mine, cause a)the thought of finding a prom dress in my size seemed like too much work, and b) it was on a boat and I did not like the idea of being stuck on a boat with a bunch of drunk screaming high school kids I really didn't want to talk to. None of my close friends went either. I don't remember what I did that night....
Old 03-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
kayrae
doot doot doot

kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!kayrae keeps pushing the rep limit!

I went to my senior ball with a girl!

This junior wanted to go because her bff's birthday was that day, but every senior she asked either already had a date or couldn't be convinced to go. She offered to pay for the bid and I got to keep everything! I think senior ball was the first time anyone saw me in a dress. My sister bought my gown, paid to get my hair and nails done, and bought me a tiny white purse to match my shoes.

Anyway, back to the subject, very cool that she stuck up for her right to party in what she's comfortable. It's just a suit, geez.

By the way, Melian, pictures of your prom outfit please
kayrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrae View Post
I went to my senior ball with a girl!

This junior wanted to go because her bff's birthday was that day, but every senior she asked either already had a date or couldn't be convinced to go. She offered to pay for the bid and I got to keep everything! I think senior ball was the first time anyone saw me in a dress. My sister bought my gown, paid to get my hair and nails done, and bought me a tiny white purse to match my shoes.

Anyway, back to the subject, very cool that she stuck up for her right to party in what she's comfortable. It's just a suit, geez.

By the way, Melian, pictures of your prom outfit please
Yeah, why DO people get so uptight about things like that. Such a little thing too. It reminds me of how some parents insist that baby girls should wear pink and baby boys should wear blue and that's how you can tell them apart. Seems kinda silly to me, it also frustrates me. There have been a few times where I see a cute baby, don't pay attention to the clothes and ask if it's a boy or a girl and I've gotten looks like I was stupid for asking. Why does that kind of conditioning have to start so early. Coincidentally, I never give clothes as baby shower gifts.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
LARRAL

LARRAL has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
There have been a few times where I see a cute baby, don't pay attention to the clothes and ask if it's a boy or a girl and I've gotten looks like I was stupid for asking. Why does that kind of conditioning have to start so early. Coincidentally, I never give clothes as baby shower gifts.
YESSS. I really appreciate the fact that you'd ask if it's a boy or girl despite their clothing. People need to hear that. Don't give colors so much power.
LARRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRAL View Post
YESSS. I really appreciate the fact that you'd ask if it's a boy or girl despite their clothing. People need to hear that. Don't give colors so much power.
You're welcome.

And welcome to Dims.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
Your Plump Princess
Just dancing with shadows

Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!Your Plump Princess keeps pushing the rep limit!

I Heard about this a while back,

I Give my ut-most Congrats to that girl for sticking up for herself and her right to go in what is comfortable. It's not like she was going in anything offensive, HONESTLY.. It could've been worse.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
LARRAL

LARRAL has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
You're welcome.

And welcome to Dims.
Thanks for the welcome.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #18
Big Butt Asshley
Big Booty &amp; A Smile

Big Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going onBig Butt Asshley knows EXACTLY what's going on

This girl was on Tyra today. She sued he school and won. Tyra gave her a beautiful tux to wear to the prom!!! Good for her!
Big Butt Asshley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #19
Teleute
Heh heh. "Member".

Teleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging in

Huh, I missed this story first time around - good for her! Reminds me of Krystal Bennett, who got crowned prom king at her high school in Ferndale, WA in 2001... my god, I had SUCH a crush on her! And Ferndale was pretty close to where I lived. How creepy would that have been, though? Show up one day with "Hi, I saw you on the news, will you go out with me?" Oh yeah. Even lame teenage me knew better than that.
Teleute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
olwen
Disco Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Butt Asshley View Post
This girl was on Tyra today. She sued he school and won. Tyra gave her a beautiful tux to wear to the prom!!! Good for her!
So Tyra DOES do good things after all. Hallelujah. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleute View Post
Huh, I missed this story first time around - good for her! Reminds me of Krystal Bennett, who got crowned prom king at her high school in Ferndale, WA in 2001... my god, I had SUCH a crush on her! And Ferndale was pretty close to where I lived. How creepy would that have been, though? Show up one day with "Hi, I saw you on the news, will you go out with me?" Oh yeah. Even lame teenage me knew better than that.
LOL That made me chuckle.