Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
1300 Class
Pam Poovey's Stunt Double

1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Meta-analysis Finds Organic Food no Healthier..

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over ordinary food, according to a major study published Wednesday.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers were paying higher prices for organic food because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007.[...]
http://www.reuters.com/article/scien...0090729?rpc=60
I've always failed to see how an "organic" banana is better than a normal banana. I thought "organic" food was more about a fashion statement than a matter of simple utility.
1300 Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Lord View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/scien...0090729?rpc=60
I've always failed to see how an "organic" banana is better than a normal banana. I thought "organic" food was more about a fashion statement than a matter of simple utility.
I haven't met an organic banana yet, but as far as apples go, I'm willing to shell out a little more to get an organic one because they taste better! The same goes for free-range eggs: the first time I ate one I was amazed at how much flavor it had. So in some cases, at least, there really is a difference.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Elfcat
Radical FPL from Hell

Elfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticedElfcat never has a post go unnoticed

First of all, the importance of the micronutrients are a matter of debate.

Second of all, organics are grown without pesticides and herbicides. Kat has told me she has sensitivities to strawberries, but has pretty consistently been less sensitive to organic ones.

Questions of nutritional difference are only one rationale for organics. Growing food without so much petroleum and derivatives of chemical weapons is another.
Elfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Teleute
Heh heh. "Member".

Teleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging in

I was going to point you toward the other thread on this topic, but it seems that is becoming more economics-oriented and your discussion seems more focused on the nutritional value of organic food.

As I (and several other people) said in the other thread, the wording of this study is quite weaselly and avoids the most common reason for eating organic, which is to avoid the pesticides and hormones that are in non-organic foods. I'm not worried about getting "extra nutrients" from my food, and neither is anyone else I know, so coming out with the "revolutionary" statement that organic food has more nutrients is kind of silly. However, it does make great propaganda for those supporting non-organic commercial farms, because it SOUNDS sensational even though it's completely missing the point.

Regarding the pesticides and hormones, those are a valid concern, and the biggest reason people I know buy organic. I posted this list in the other thread; it has good information on what foods carry the heaviest load of pesticides and hormones. It's a good idea to get the organic versions of those foods. The list also has information on what foods don't retain large amounts of pesticides, for which the standard non-organic versions are fine (like bananas )

As Dr. Feelgood mentioned, there is frequently a big taste difference between organic and regular food - I don't notice a massive difference with most storebought fruits and veggies, but I REALLY notice the difference with meat, dairy, and eggs, and locally-grown organic fruits and vegetables from farmer's markets are also delicious (and usually without the price gouging from Whole [paycheck] Foods).

Regarding the fashion statement - I certainly know several eco-pretentious wankers who really want you to KNOW that their meal is all organic and on biodegradable tableware, and who wear all hemp clothing and have a water recycling system and drive their hybrid that releases copious amounts of smug (thank you, south park!) However, I think there are more people who eat organic food than you realize, and who do it not because they want you to know how much they love the earth, but primarily because they are concerned for their own health or because they want to try to make sure we will still be able to farm food in a few decades... these people are just less obvious because they're not wearing hemp shirts that say "my vegan, locally grown, organic lunch is delicious" or anything like that.
Teleute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Never mind....

So now we have two threads about the same thing? Color me confused!

Last edited by Miss Vickie; 08-03-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Teleute
Heh heh. "Member".

Teleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging inTeleute makes people happy simply by logging in

Sorry - the reason I responded to this one with basically the same info is because it looked like the other thread was moving towards a political/economic discussion of food production (and it looked like that's what Ernest Nagle had intended for the thread anyway), whereas this one was focused more on the flavor/health aspects of organic food. You're right though, it's probably better to keep it all in one thread, and people can pick and choose what they want to respond to in that thread. Sorry for the confusion!

Edit: The other thread is here, for those who are interested
Teleute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

It's okay. I'm just easily confused! And I was upset because I thought your very helpful post (and link) were gone for good!
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote